Fedora Workstation 31 Should Be Another Fantastic Release For Desktop Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oddsocks View Post
    And we call also substitute the word Pipewire in that sentence with OSS, Alsa, Jack, PulseAudio et al.
    no, you can't, since none of them supports video. and even for audio they are lacking features

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      no, you can't, since none of them supports video. and even for audio they are lacking features
      PipeWire also lacks some features for audio.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Those features will come in time as the current goal of PipeWire is to start on a solid foundation and gradually carry over useful functions for audio from both PulseAudio and Jack while improving them.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          pipewire is work in progress

Comment

it's video. and it's not exactly new
            Sorry, my mistake. When the website talks about it handling audio (yes and video), I assumed it handled audio. But audio just means video, Got ya.

Comment

Methinks you missed the point. When pipewire gets replaced with PulseFlapsNG, the same sentence will also work.

Comment

When the website talks about it handling audio (yes and video), I assumed it handled audio
                that's ok. what's not ok is to assume it doesn't have to handle video
                But audio just means video, Got ya.
                every video contains audio, doesn't it? they are starting with audio part because audio servers already exist and they have to provide adequate replacement
                Last edited by pal666; 01 October 2019, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Methinks you missed the point. When pipewire gets replaced with PulseFlapsNG, the same sentence will also work.
                  your point is that nobody uses unix edition 1 anymore? what a shame...

Comment

your point is that nobody uses unix edition 1 anymore? what a shame...
                    Actually no. My point is that you bought a 3 bedroom house. Now you need a 4 bedroom house. Lets knock the house down and start again. Progress doesn't have to mean starting from scratch *every* time. And yes that's often the nature of the beast in the OSS world.

Comment

that's ok. what's not ok is to assume it doesn't have to handle video
                      every video contains audio, doesn't it? they are starting with audio part because audio servers already exist and they have to provide adequate replacement
                      Yes, but I don't remember bitching about yet another video standard. Although..........

Also no, not every video contains audio, albeit most do.

Comment

Working...
                      X