No announcement yet.

Fedora Workstation 31 Should Be Another Fantastic Release For Desktop Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantastic release for desktop linux with broken Gnome Software which is hit and miss in showing packages from 3rd party repos which you can add in the application itself. Don't get me wrong, I use Fedora as my daily driver since a couple of releases but they should sort gnome software and packagekit mess out.

Comment

Originally posted by killyou View Post
      Fantastic release for desktop linux with broken Gnome Software which is hit and miss in showing packages from 3rd party repos which you can add in the application itself. Don't get me wrong, I use Fedora as my daily driver since a couple of releases but they should sort gnome software and packagekit mess out.
      Gnome Software requires appstream metafiles by default to display GUI applications from (appstream-data and rpmfusion-{free,nonfree}-appstream-data as examples). Flathub repository has it by default.

Comment

People keep saying what a "fantastic" release Fedora 31 is / will be; what exactly can I do from day zero of this release that I can't do with Manjaro or Ubuntu or OpenSuse or even a good BSD GhostBSD?

For me, they all have shortcomings, even my current favorite Manjaro. Until I can get Davinci Resolve working on a distro, I can not consider it "fantastic" Currently this software is only officially supported on RHEL and CentOS and even though it will supposedly install on other distributions, it refuses to launch no matter what I do.

For me, this is even more damning for Fedora than any other distro because of the presumed lineage between RHEL and Fedora. To me, it's nonsensical that something can run on RHEL and not on Fedora.

Of course I have never tried to run Resolve on RHEL, so it could be that it just doesn't work.

Same goes for REDLine for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by alcalde View Post
          Sigh... I remember when OpenSUSE used to provide this before the last SUSE owners got a hold of it and made Richard Brown the OpenSUSE chairman.

Hopefully a new SUSE owner, a new chairperson and talk about setting up an independent foundation will bring OpenSUSE back and give Fedora some friendly competition again.
          Richard Brown is no longer chairman in case you didn't know. Recently left the position in the past month or so iirc.

Comment

Great, another Linux audio standard. That's the great thing about standards, so many to choose from.

Comment

Originally posted by Oddsocks View Post
              Great, another Linux audio standard. That's the great thing about standards, so many to choose from.
              I don't have a problem with Pipewire and what its goals are. It is addressing a shortcoming, the design is careful and deliberate and it promises to be a better solution (eventually).

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                For me, they all have shortcomings, even my current favorite Manjaro. Until I can get Davinci Resolve working on a distro, I can not consider it "fantastic" Currently this software is only officially supported on RHEL and CentOS and even though it will supposedly install on other distributions, it refuses to launch no matter what I do.

For me, this is even more damning for Fedora than any other distro because of the presumed lineage between RHEL and Fedora. To me, it's nonsensical that something can run on RHEL and not on Fedora.
                Hardly a fault of any of the distros. A closed source application, officially supported exactly not on Fedora. Sounds like your gripe should be aimed more at BlackMagic.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                  People keep saying what a "fantastic" release Fedora 31 is / will be; what exactly can I do from day zero of this release that I can't do with Manjaro or Ubuntu or OpenSuse or even a good BSD GhostBSD?

Of course I have never tried to run Resolve on RHEL, so it could be that it just doesn't work.

Same goes for REDLine for Linux.
                  I left Ubuntu because "less-important" packages in the default repos became more outdated later in the release cycle (eg: stuff like FileZilla being on 3.32.1 when upstream was 3.40.4). Fedora generally keeps stuff up-to-date more-so than Ubuntu.

I've tried multiple times during Fedora 28-30 to switch to openSUSE TW; there was always some weird issue that had me going back to Fedora. One of the last issues was with oS's ckb-next package; apparently whoever maintained it didn't bother even testing it since the library path it was looking for was broken (had like /usr/lib//usr/lib/ckb-next), which led to no built-in animation files being usable. I believe it's fixed now, but it definitely took longer than I cared for (I believe over a month, with a bug report and mention on the forums and subreddit).

I've never tried Manjaro, but I don't see it really offering anything to make it stand out or make it worthwhile. I've tried FreeBSD, but I believe the radeon graphics stack was too outdated for the GPU I had or something. I don't know how desktop BSD is nowadays, but I have a RX 580, and I need 4K@60Hz over HDMI, which as I understand came with some Linux kernel in the 4.1 series with DC; does any BSD offer that?

In general, at any point Fedora starts to become a problem for whatever I'm trying to do, I re-visit openSUSE TW since it's rolling-release. And if it doesn't work, I try out Ubuntu (aside from the package versions, it's overall pretty stable and usable for me). And if that doesn't work out, I end up back on Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

I don't have a problem with Pipewire and what its goals are. It is addressing a shortcoming, the design is careful and deliberate and it promises to be a better solution (eventually).
                    Indeed. And we call also substitute the word Pipewire in that sentence with OSS, Alsa, Jack, PulseAudio et al. The problem is, the other standards never quite go away and we get another round of guess why the app isn't playing sound. Oh, some compatibility shim or environment variable is missing.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                      Is this fantastic release going to continue to bring up the rear in benchmark testing I wonder?
                      Well it works well which is something to be said. I’ve been running RedHat or Fedora, on and off, since Redhat 4. Yes a long time ago! Currently on Fedora 29 and I must say it is far more pleasant and better tested for a bleeding edge distro. Is it the hottest Linux distro - nope but the deltas are fairly modest.

performance is not everything but on this same platform I had Windows running and that completely sucked. Very poor performance. So I can’t complain and frankly I’m already seeing signs that Fedora 31 will be faster again.

Comment

Working...
                      X