No announcement yet.

Ubuntu To Provide Select 32-Bit Packages For Ubuntu 19.10 & 20.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This whole episode does show that steam needs more leverage in future, which means officially supporting more than one distro. #tumbleweed

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
      This whole episode does show that steam needs more leverage in future, which means officially supporting more than one distro. #tumbleweed
      Really support more distributions does not alter the 2038 problem and its effect on enterprise distributions since they have started doing 10 year support cycles. Ubuntu has been nice enough to put a shot across Valve bow instead of waiting until 2026-2027 and doing it with all the enterprise distributions then.

Might sound hard what Ubuntu has been doing is the nice solution so we do in fact have time to address. Not wait until 2026-2027 make the choice with no option of reversing it.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Really support more distributions does not alter the 2038 problem and its effect on enterprise distributions since they have started doing 10 year support cycles. Ubuntu has been nice enough to put a shot across Valve bow instead of waiting until 2026-2027 and doing it with all the enterprise distributions then.

Might sound hard what Ubuntu has been doing is the nice solution so we do in fact have time to address. Not wait until 2026-2027 make the choice with no option of reversing it.
        Enterprise distro's can force everyone on to 256bit before 2038 for all I care.

In the mean time I will use the distro that caters to my needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
          Enterprise distro's can force everyone on to 256bit before 2038 for all I care.

In the mean time I will use the distro that caters to my needs.
          There is a problem its the Enterprise distributions who employee large percentage of the parties that do the upstream on the work on the core libraries as in over 80% of it traces back to them. Head in sand to this problem does not change the reality.

Like is Valve going to reach into their pockets to fill those staff to get 32 bit going if the enterprise developers pull back. We need to make it possible for enterprise distributions to say yes we can keep 32 bit support as applications will work after 2038 with a few work around to keep our customers as happy as possible.

Not choose to cut of 32bit support so they don't get done for breach of contract for failing to deliver what they promised.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
            Windows 10 was release 22 July 2009 so we are basically 10 years from that
            WAT. That was the Windows 7 release date. Win10 was 2015

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
              Sad really, I was hoping that Ubuntu would have displayed more backbone than this. There is no rational reason to be stuck with 32 bit support in a mainstream Linux implementation. No guys playing games is not a good reason to hold back the advancement of Linux. This is really bad for the public perception of Linux.
              There are many rational reasons and they have all been mentioned before. Whats irrational is to remove 32 bit support and the reasons you give are whats irrational and lacks technical merit. "public perception" is not a good technical argument. There are many reasons why we need 32 bit binaries to ensure software which some people only have a 32-bit binary license for to work, to allow WINE to work, and to allow Valve/Steam to work, as well as printer drivers. Your comment are an example of the contempt for desktop users that some have. Games are a significant amount of the market that Ubuntu should be targeting. You are the one who is trying to undermine Linux. Do you work for Sony Playstation?

Comment

Having to figure out which binaries are a dependancy for some 32 bit only software is more effort than just continuing to build everything for 32 bit, which requires no effort since its an automated process. Again, messing with the status quo on 32 bit libraries makes absolutely no sense. I am also of the view getting rid of 32 bit images was a mistake and we see getting rid of images was part of their scheme to basically throw gamers, printer driver users, steam users and desktop users in general under the bus. Ubuntu doesnt give a damn about what its desktop users think.

Comment

Originally posted by MamiyaOtaru View Post
                  WAT. That was the Windows 7 release date. Win10 was 2015
                  Windows 7 was when 64 bit under windows was in fact stable to use. Vista and XP 64 bit had driver issues.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Why are you soiling yourself? They even mentioned Steam and WINE in their original announcement (and did so even back in 2016 when they first announced that they where planning to drop i386 support).

They where not planning on going forward in a way that would break either Steam or WINE, that is just extrapolations that people have made when they ran around in panic.
                    I don't think it's panicking when even Ubuntu maintainers run into the issue they've been warned about. If they want to provide some replacement to multilib, they should explicitly mention that they're bringing in something else, and how people should migrate to it.

Comment

wizard69 I always thought you are quite retarded but this thread leaves no doubt about it.

Comment

Working...
                      X