Clear Linux Preparing New Kernel Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post

Their kernel config is hostile towards AMD - it keeps the support for non-Intel processors but they explicitly remove AMD bits(like the microcode: https://github.com/clearlinux-pkgs/l...c6/config#L354 ).
    So, it will work on Ryzen, but not to its potential.
    They removed: AMD Microcode, AMD Numa support(will affect the performance of Threadripper and EPYC), AMD encryption, AMD IOMMU, etc...
    Really? An Intel developed distro doesn't favor their competitor's processors? Those bastards! AMD is free to release their own AMD optimized distro, but I doubt they will.

Comment

It was fun while it lasted! Maybe someone will come along and create a bundle called native-kernel-amd and submit it for inclusion.

So install Clear Linux as usual. Execute swupd bundle-add native-kernel-amd and it applies the needed patches and reboots.

Yes, Intel doesn't have to approve it or support it, but to me it would be no different than installing an NVidia or Radeon specific driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post

Really? An Intel developed distro doesn't favor their competitor's processors? Those bastards! AMD is free to release their own AMD optimized distro, but I doubt they will.
        "favor their competitor's processors" - those options are enabled by default in a basic config(all distros except Clear Linux have these enabled) AND this DOES NOT affect Intel processors in any way, so it does not "favor" other processors, it just enables proper support that is available in ALL distros except Clear Linux where they explicitly kneecap AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post

Their kernel config is hostile towards AMD - it keeps the support for non-Intel processors but they explicitly remove AMD bits(like the microcode: https://github.com/clearlinux-pkgs/l...c6/config#L354 ).
          So, it will work on Ryzen, but not to its potential.
          They removed: AMD Microcode, AMD Numa support(will affect the performance of Threadripper and EPYC), AMD encryption, AMD IOMMU, etc...
          CONFIG_AMD_NUMA is for older Opteron type CPUs, though I don't see the point in disabling the other options other than what would be considered a "dick move" in bird culture.

Comment

Working...
          X