Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Linux Preparing New Kernel Options

Phoronix: Clear Linux Preparing New Kernel Options

Intel's Clear Linux platform is preparing some new alternative kernel options and they are quite interesting from a testing/benchmarking perspective...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Kernel-Options

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    around a kernel-native-current and kernek-mainline-vanilla options.

Comment

I'd love to see some ryzen benchmarks with this kernel testing. Very intriguing.

Comment

An FYI for the Arch and Manjaro users, you can find these patches and more included in Tk-Glitch's kernels.

Comment

Are these patches to be mainlined or have they been rejected? I see some stuff that is quite dubious.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
            Are these patches to be mainlined or have they been rejected? I see some stuff that is quite dubious.
            Considering that clear targets a quite narrow set of hardware, I wouldn't expect anyone to bother with mainlining these patches.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              An FYI for the Arch and Manjaro users, you can find these patches and more included in Tk-Glitch's kernels.
              This is really interesting, do you know if this or any different project offers Clear Linux optimizations/patches for Debian?

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post
                I'd love to see some ryzen benchmarks with this kernel testing. Very intriguing.
                Their kernel config is hostile towards AMD - it keeps the support for non-Intel processors but they explicitly remove AMD bits(like the microcode: https://github.com/clearlinux-pkgs/l...c6/config#L354 ).
                So, it will work on Ryzen, but not to its potential.
                They removed: AMD Microcode, AMD Numa support(will affect the performance of Threadripper and EPYC), AMD encryption, AMD IOMMU, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post

Their kernel config is hostile towards AMD - it keeps the support for non-Intel processors but they explicitly remove AMD bits(like the microcode: https://github.com/clearlinux-pkgs/l...c6/config#L354 ).
                  So, it will work on Ryzen, but not to its potential.
                  They removed: AMD Microcode, AMD Numa support(will affect the performance of Threadripper and EPYC), AMD encryption, AMD IOMMU, etc...
                  One could argue that AMD might do well to be a bit cheeky and release a Clear-Linux derived spin that just changes the compiler options to favour AMD Ryzen-based CPUs...

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post

This is really interesting, do you know if this or any different project offers Clear Linux optimizations/patches for Debian?
                    Off the top of my head, I don't. If you have some decent bash-fu it shouldn't be too difficult to go down the PKGBUILD, apply the patches manually, and compile it.

Hopefully someone else will know a decent way to convert a PKGBUILD over to a Debian source package.

Comment

Working...
                    X