Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clear Linux Further Enhances Its Desktop Installer, Launches Help Forums

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Clear Linux Further Enhances Its Desktop Installer, Launches Help Forums

    Phoronix: Clear Linux Further Enhances Its Desktop Installer, Launches Help Forums

    Not only does Intel's Clear Linux distribution offer stellar out of the box performance, but they seem to be making it increasingly user/desktop friendly at this stage. There's been new GUI installer work as well as the launching of their own support forums...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...op-Installer-2

  • #2
    That installer is definitely a surprisingly huge improvement over the console installer. Good job!

    Comment


    • #3
      finally a better installer. i wonder if you can install it with wireless network only. i know that text installer had no way to set the wifi network a few months ago and the live image never work for me. it use to get stuck after starting the installation without any error. does it support other DE than GNOME?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by loganj View Post
        does it support other DE than GNOME?
        wintel conspiracy uses gnome3 to prevent the Linux desktop success.
        Last edited by debianxfce; 05-11-2019, 07:10 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Wishlist:

          1) native Chromium + VAAPI build (LTO, PGO, + other possible Clear Linux optimizations)
          2) everything media related should just work (preferably out of the box, or make it super easy to get the needed packages if there are legal issues preventing that)
          3) As Ikey works for them again, is any more work on Steam integration incoming? His repo hasn't been updated for a while. Gaming is a big driver for new desktop users and that suits Clear LInux performance oriented approach very well. Any work which furthers the gaming experience on Linux is very welcome.
          4) Nice to have: An easy way to build the kernel and other performance sensitive packages from source (with Clear Linux patches applied) and let me specify my own custom compiler flags plus keeping these packages up-to-date.
          5) Offer several architecture-dependant builds for popular CPUs (next to the generic build and also for AMDs Ryzen+).

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by loganj View Post
            does it support other DE than GNOME?
            Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
            wintel conspiracy uses gnome3 to prevent the Linux desktop success.
            https://clearlinux.org/software/bundle/xfce4-desktop (and I haven't looked into other DEs)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by loganj View Post
              finally a better installer. i wonder if you can install it with wireless network only. i know that text installer had no way to set the wifi network a few months ago and the live image never work for me. it use to get stuck after starting the installation without any error. does it support other DE than GNOME?
              Xfce and KDE work, I've personally used them on Clear, not sure off hand about others.
              Michael Larabel
              http://www.michaellarabel.com/

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                Wishlist:
                Create your own distribution easily with Debian simple-cdd. https://wiki.debian.org/Simple-CDD/Howto

                I found chromium developed for windows users. Debian Firefox is for Linux users and Alsa audio and the Xfce power manager works. My distribution is for gaming and I have a repository for my custom kernel.
                Last edited by debianxfce; 05-11-2019, 07:14 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  OK, so suppose today I'm buying a new laptop. Should I get an AMD processor that won't need Spectre/Meltdown mitigations, or do I go for Intel on Clear Linux?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by teresaejunior View Post
                    OK, so suppose today I'm buying a new laptop. Should I get an AMD processor that won't need Spectre/Meltdown mitigations, or do I go for Intel on Clear Linux?
                    A laptop with the Vega APU is the best choice because of the best graphics chip. Dgpus in laptops cause more problems. Then you can use my distribution, I have removed sadomasochistic code from the non debug 1000 Hz timer AMD wip kernel. My distribution uses Padoka ppa mesa git too.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X