X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuzz
    replied
    Originally posted by coder View Post
    Please explain what you mean by "multislotted". Thanks.
    For example, these are the python versions and slots available on my system. The slots are on the left. I have dev-lang/python:2.7, dev-lang/python:3.5, dev-lang/python:3.6, and dev-lang/python:3.7 installed. =dev-lang/python-2.7.16 is listed as the latest version of python in the 2.7 slot.

There are also sub-slots. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Sub-slo...Slot-Operators

Code:
    ~ $ eix dev-lang/python
    [I] dev-lang/python
         Available versions:
         (2.7)  2.7.15 (~)2.7.15-r1[1] (~)2.7.15-r108[1] (~)2.7.16
         (3.4)  (~)3.4.8-r2(3.4/3.4m)[1]
         (3.5)  3.5.5(3.5/3.5m)^t (~)3.5.5-r2(3.5/3.5m)^t[1] (~)3.5.7(3.5/3.5m)^t
         (3.6)  3.6.5(3.6/3.6m)^t (~)3.6.6-r1(3.6/3.6m)^t[1] (~)3.6.8(3.6/3.6m)^t
         (3.7)  (~)3.7.0-r1(3.7/3.7m)^t[1] (~)3.7.2(3.7/3.7m)^t (~)3.7.3(3.7/3.7m)^t

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by Spam View Post
    Some applications and libraries are multislotted to support this scenario.
    Please explain what you mean by "multislotted". Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• S.Pam
    replied
    Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
    With a Libre Linux Kernel?
    Yes, why now? What's wrong with that? There are bechmarks that are not GPU centric you know

Leave a comment:

• Danielsan
    replied
    Would be nice with some comparative benchmarks.
    With a Libre Linux Kernel?

Leave a comment:

• S.Pam
    replied
    Would be nice with some comparative benchmarks.

Leave a comment:

• Danielsan
    replied
    Another non intuitive thing is that the 'graphical' front end is emacs-guix.
    I think you got the point, as anyone can expect by the FSF, this distro is totally counter-intuitive...

I hope in a future derivative that makes it human usable...
    Last edited by Danielsan; 04 May 2019, 11:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• S.Pam
    replied
    There's a bug so the paths are not set correctly by the installer. A new 1.0.1 release will be released soon. At least from what I heard from the devs on #guix

Another non intuitive thing is that the 'graphical' front end is emacs-guix.

Leave a comment:

• Danielsan
    replied
    This distro is quite difficult for my knowledge I was unable to achieve almost anything... And because the peculiar package manager it is not clear if you install the packages for root will work for any other users... So I have been messing up all the day without being able to install it with Xfce and some commands are missing or broken, for example the basic cli command "LS" didn't work even when I realized that the package coreutils was not installed by default... So I am quite confuse... But this distro is not even target power users...

Leave a comment:

• S.Pam
    replied
    Yes, that isn't handled with Gentoo. Guix and Guix SD seems really quite good. Let's hope it does get good response and backing Perhaps even makes hardware vendors think a little extra and release open source drivers that works with the Libre kernel that GuixSD is using

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Some applications and libraries are multislotted to support this scenario. But then again most Gentooers don't run external binary apps.
    no, my point is that even if Gentoo is working with sources they aren't handling installation of applications that aren't "packaged" and tested to compile and run with system libs much more differently than a distro with binary packages.

Also distros with binary packages can have special packages for applications

Leave a comment:

Working...
X