GNU Guix 1.0 System Distribution & Transactional Package Manager Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Guix 1.0 System Distribution & Transactional Package Manager Released

Phoronix: GNU Guix 1.0 System Distribution & Transactional Package Manager Released

After seven years of development and more than forty-thousand commits, GNU Guix 1.0 has been released. Guix as a refresher is the transactional package manager that can be used atop other Linux distributions while the Guix System Distribution also serves as its own GNU/Linux flavor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just what the world needs: more package managers. Can we also have more lawyers?

Comment

At least this one brings something new compared to Yum/APT/Pacman/whatever

Comment

I have Guix running in a VM, it's nice.

Originally posted by Bsdisbetter View Post
        Just what the world needs: more package managers. Can we also have more lawyers?
        That's the benefit of free software: if you don't like it, you're free to not use it or to fork it and make something you do like.

We can't win. Everything converges on one solution, like systemd, and you get people screaming that choice is being taken away. Everything diverges into dozens of choices, you get people screaming that there is so much wasteful duplication.

And as it turns out GuixSD uses the GNU Shepherd init system. It seems to work fine, though I haven't done anything mission-critical with it.

Comment

Sweet; time to set-up a VM with it.

Just what the world needs: more package managers.
          At least Guix is actually trying something new and useful

Comment

Looks like we only have two declarative package managers, though: GUIX and Nix

Comment

This distro is so cool! I look forward to install it in one of my computers.
              Last edited by Danielsan; 02 May 2019, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Just what the world needs: more package managers.
                It may seem like a https://xkcd.com/927/ situation.
                But guix (and nix) have solved the problem of package management. These package managers even cover what snap/flatpak are trying to achieve, in a much more elegant way.

Comment

Nice. Congratulations on the 1.0 release.

Guix (and Nix) can be installed on any distro, including Android. I used it to install xWayland, IceCat, and some other goodies on SailfishOS.

Comment

Sorry for my ignorance but what problems does Guix solve that isn't yet solved by other package managers?

Comment

Working...
                    X