GNU Guix 1.0 System Distribution & Transactional Package Manager Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spam View Post

Except perhaps for Gentoo and systems with portage.
    can a Gentoo system deal with random applications needing different library versions than those installed in the system? Because I was under the impression that it does not.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      yes it is valid, regardless of what you think.
      And it so is not. That's what I think. Fanbois r us.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        can a Gentoo system deal with random applications needing different library versions than those installed in the system? Because I was under the impression that it does not.
        Some applications and libraries are multislotted to support this scenario. But then again most Gentooers don't run external binary apps.

Comment

Originally posted by Bsdisbetter View Post
          And it so is not. That's what I think. Fanbois r us.
          And it so is. That's the actual reality. Haters r us.

Comment

Some applications and libraries are multislotted to support this scenario. But then again most Gentooers don't run external binary apps.
            no, my point is that even if Gentoo is working with sources they aren't handling installation of applications that aren't "packaged" and tested to compile and run with system libs much more differently than a distro with binary packages.

Also distros with binary packages can have special packages for applications

Comment

Yes, that isn't handled with Gentoo. Guix and Guix SD seems really quite good. Let's hope it does get good response and backing Perhaps even makes hardware vendors think a little extra and release open source drivers that works with the Libre kernel that GuixSD is using

Comment

This distro is quite difficult for my knowledge I was unable to achieve almost anything... And because the peculiar package manager it is not clear if you install the packages for root will work for any other users... So I have been messing up all the day without being able to install it with Xfce and some commands are missing or broken, for example the basic cli command "LS" didn't work even when I realized that the package coreutils was not installed by default... So I am quite confuse... But this distro is not even target power users...

Comment

There's a bug so the paths are not set correctly by the installer. A new 1.0.1 release will be released soon. At least from what I heard from the devs on #guix

Another non intuitive thing is that the 'graphical' front end is emacs-guix.

Comment

Another non intuitive thing is that the 'graphical' front end is emacs-guix.
                    I think you got the point, as anyone can expect by the FSF, this distro is totally counter-intuitive...

I hope in a future derivative that makes it human usable...
                    Last edited by Danielsan; 04 May 2019, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Would be nice with some comparative benchmarks.

Comment

Working...
                      X