Fedora 30 Now Available With GNOME 3.32, Flicker-Free Boot, Zchunk Metadata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChristianSchaller View Post

We are constantly looking at ways to improve the GNOME user experience in Fedora, and we do look at user comments and reviews to gather feedback to use for future improvements. But for us to be able to do anything the feedback needs to be a lot more concrete and constructive than this, atm all one can deduce here is some weird contradictory statement of about the DE feeling old fashioned combined with a wish to switch to a desktop aiming to be more old fashioned.
    The only thing I can recommend is I don't think the current GUI process of enabling/installing nvidia drivers, additional codecs etc is very good. The banner up the top of GNOME Software is easily miss-able, and when you do click it you have to close and reopen GNOME Software twice for stuff to show.

Perhaps a button or tick on the GNOME Initial Setup perhaps, which could if needed go ahead and fetch the needed software should a nvidia card be detected.

Also, incase you didn't realise, DebianXFCE is just a Microsoft troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

The only thing I can recommend is I don't think the current GUI process of enabling/installing nvidia drivers, additional codecs etc is very good. The banner up the top of GNOME Software is easily miss-able, and when you do click it you have to close and reopen GNOME Software twice for stuff to show.
      Not sure I follow. With banner you mean the header bar where you can search? (As I assume you are not talking about the big banner advertising some app towards the top of the page).
      Also what you describe as having to close and re-open for things to show seems like a bug. Only thing I can think of here is that GNOME Software can be a bit slow to populate its pages the very first time you start it. That is something Richard Hughes has worked on though and it should be greatly improved in GNOME Software in Fedora 30.

Comment

Installed but game performance is a disaster. With wayland sutter as hell and with Xorg limited at 60fps. Installed Solus again and just werks!

Comment

Ever since its first release I've had Gnome Software do buggy things. Although half the time it's actually PackageKit. It's still a bad look for Software that it just hangs there never timing out or reporting errors.

PackageKit likes to go into infinite loops calling select on file handles that are no longer connected to anything.

I prefer DNF on the command line myself.

Comment

Speaking about Gnome I wanted to say that I've come to really like the Gnome 3 desktop and even gnome-shell. Although I still want someone to go through and separate the render and everything else. Then make the Wayland compositor thread real-time.

Comment

I guess they won't stop with the worst DE out there, GNOME. The performance of that resource hog is laughable, I wonder whether i9 boxes can handle basic animations in that abomination without skipping frames. Even opening their "app list" when system is basically idle causes jank (on an i5-8400, a CPU that should be more than enough to handle it), which just feels awful, not to mention that their interface feels like a bastard child between macOS and Windows 8, something that attempts to "work" with the touchscreen while trying to retain some similarity to desktop interfaces, but it fails to do any of those things.
              I wonder what corporation is forcing (funding) this awful DE. Pretty much every single one out there is better. I've seen people switching over to KDE at work (and it seems to be a trend, there might be a point where most people will end up using it), because they just can't stand it, and only one person switching to Cinnamon.

Comment

Sweet, this is great news!!! I can't wait NOT to try it.

Comment

We are constantly looking at ways to improve the GNOME user experience in Fedora, and we do look at user comments and reviews to gather feedback to use for future improvements. But for us to be able to do anything the feedback needs to be a lot more concrete and constructive than this, atm all one can deduce here is some weird contradictory statement of about the DE feeling old fashioned combined with a wish to switch to a desktop aiming to be more old fashioned.
                  OMG LMFAO

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
                    Installed but game performance is a disaster. With wayland sutter as hell and with Xorg limited at 60fps. Installed Solus again and just werks!
                    Does Solus use Wayland though?
                    You have to bear in mind that Fedora is a bleeding edge distro, where you get the newest stuff, but that means you also sacrifice some stability...

Comment

Hi Christian, it's just that the Gnome defaults don't make a lot of sense to me. I made a list of the annoyances I had in the first half hour, but it's too long for a Phoronix post. I'll consider filing a bug report, but it's really just a list of annoyances at how Gnome is built to run, not really a valid bug report. Nothing broken or not working, just doesn't work in a way that's useful to me. As I said, I could go with extensions and tweaks, I've used them successfully before. But I see no need, as there are many other DE's that I can use out of the box without all the time or trouble.

Comment

Working...
                      X