Fedora 30 Now Available With GNOME 3.32, Flicker-Free Boot, Zchunk Metadata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
    I guess they won't stop with the worst DE out there, GNOME. The performance of that resource hog is laughable, I wonder whether i9 boxes can handle basic animations in that abomination without skipping frames. Even opening their "app list" when system is basically idle causes jank (on an i5-8400, a CPU that should be more than enough to handle it), which just feels awful, not to mention that their interface feels like a bastard child between macOS and Windows 8, something that attempts to "work" with the touchscreen while trying to retain some similarity to desktop interfaces, but it fails to do any of those things.
    I wonder what corporation is forcing (funding) this awful DE. Pretty much every single one out there is better. I've seen people switching over to KDE at work (and it seems to be a trend, there might be a point where most people will end up using it), because they just can't stand it, and only one person switching to Cinnamon.
    If you think GNOME shell is made for the touchscreen you're probably using it wrong. It's purposely keyboard orientated.

But meh performance is still not great, it's better but I really like the GNOME Workflow, it's nice to have a DE that isnt copying either Windows or OS X in its workflow.

Originally posted by ChristianSchaller View Post
    Not sure I follow. With banner you mean the header bar where you can search? (As I assume you are not talking about the big banner advertising some app towards the top of the page).
    Also what you describe as having to close and re-open for things to show seems like a bug. Only thing I can think of here is that GNOME Software can be a bit slow to populate its pages the very first time you start it. That is something Richard Hughes has worked on though and it should be greatly improved in GNOME Software in Fedora 30.
    This bar.
    https://fedoramagazine.org/wp-conten...arty-repos.png
    Last edited by Britoid; 30 April 2019, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Hi Christian, it's just that the Gnome defaults don't make a lot of sense to me. I made a list of the annoyances I had in the first half hour, but it's too long for a Phoronix post. I'll consider filing a bug report, but it's really just a list of annoyances at how Gnome is built to run, not really a valid bug report. Nothing broken or not working, just doesn't work in a way that's useful to me. As I said, I could go with extensions and tweaks, I've used them successfully before. But I see no need, as there are many other DE's that I can use out of the box without all the time or trouble.
      And that is perfectly fine, my comment was more to say that if anyone got constructive feedback we are happy to take it, while general 'I hate everything you do, have ever done and will ever do' messages doesn't really improve the posters or anyone else's life . But if people are happy using something else then good for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
        Ah, well the real way you are supposed to be asked the question is through the GNOME Initial setup, the bar in GNOME Software is just a fallback in case people somehow managed to not get the key set. You can also chance the key value at anytime through the GNOME Software preferences menu.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
          If you think GNOME shell is made for the touchscreen you're probably using it wrong. It's purposely keyboard orientated.
          https://fedoramagazine.org/wp-conten...arty-repos.png
          Considering the size of everything it looks like it's been made with sausage fingers in mind, a keyboard-oriented interface wouldn't waste that much screen space for icons. Also, I don't use GNOME, I mostly deal with it on other's computers. The days when I had the patience to put up with a DE are over, and GNOME 3 was never a DE that I tolerated.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

Does Solus use Wayland though?
            You have to bear in mind that Fedora is a bleeding edge distro, where you get the newest stuff, but that means you also sacrifice some stability...
            Yeah. Solus gnome uses Wayland. I don't know what the hell is wrong on Fedora.

Comment

We are constantly looking at ways to improve the GNOME user experience in Fedora, and we do look at user comments and reviews to gather feedback to use for future improvements. But for us to be able to do anything the feedback needs to be a lot more concrete and constructive than this, atm all one can deduce here is some weird contradictory statement of about the DE feeling old fashioned combined with a wish to switch to a desktop aiming to be more old fashioned.
              Please no.

There were desktops and servers. Operating systems at that time could cater to both with the GUI being more important on the desktop. With the anticipated move to tablets and smart phones a different, more user friendly with touch screen, interface became the rage. Let's not quibble that a smart phone type interface is probably the right choice for perhaps 95% of the market as that is what they're used to. Then again that interface, by design, is very limited by the environment it was designed for.

So Mate isn't "old fashion" as much as it is a choice, a preference, for those who do not wish for their desktops to be running an interface which is more appropriate for smart phones. For my own purposes, if I wanted my desktop to be a smart phone I'd buy a smart phone.

Gnome 3 was foisted onto the Fedora audience perhaps 1/3 baked. That was premature and handled poorly. It make Fedora, with that default interface, unusable to a large segment of those that had been using it.

So, yes, Gnome is probably the right interface for 95% of the target audience. My concern is the attitude that anything else is "old fashion" presupposes that those behind Fedora will then give everything else short shrift. So move Gnome forward. Please don't let that cause an attitude that everything else is chopped liver.

So you see Mate as "old fashion." I see Gnome as "trying to turn a desktop into a smart phone - ignoring the power of a desktop." Might I mention that three monitors isn't typically found on smart phones?

Thus far, in fairness, the Fedora project has been doing a good job of not letting the focus on Gnome result in a "second class citizen" for the other DEs. For that to persist it needs to be maintained. Might I suggest that you rethink that "feeling old fashioned combined with a wish to switch to a desktop aiming to be more old fashioned" attitude?

I respect your wish for a smart phone type GUI. Respect mine to not have that on my computer.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Farmer View Post

Please no.

There were desktops and servers. Operating systems at that time could cater to both with the GUI being more important on the desktop. With the anticipated move to tablets and smart phones a different, more user friendly with touch screen, interface became the rage. Let's not quibble that a smart phone type interface is probably the right choice for perhaps 95% of the market as that is what they're used to. Then again that interface, by design, is very limited by the environment it was designed for.

So Mate isn't "old fashion" as much as it is a choice, a preference, for those who do not wish for their desktops to be running an interface which is more appropriate for smart phones. For my own purposes, if I wanted my desktop to be a smart phone I'd buy a smart phone.

Gnome 3 was foisted onto the Fedora audience perhaps 1/3 baked. That was premature and handled poorly. It make Fedora, with that default interface, unusable to a large segment of those that had been using it.

So, yes, Gnome is probably the right interface for 95% of the target audience. My concern is the attitude that anything else is "old fashion" presupposes that those behind Fedora will then give everything else short shrift. So move Gnome forward. Please don't let that cause an attitude that everything else is chopped liver.

So you see Mate as "old fashion." I see Gnome as "trying to turn a desktop into a smart phone - ignoring the power of a desktop." Might I mention that three monitors isn't typically found on smart phones?

Thus far, in fairness, the Fedora project has been doing a good job of not letting the focus on Gnome result in a "second class citizen" for the other DEs. For that to persist it needs to be maintained. Might I suggest that you rethink that "feeling old fashioned combined with a wish to switch to a desktop aiming to be more old fashioned" attitude?

I respect your wish for a smart phone type GUI. Respect mine to not have that on my computer.

Thanks.
                If you like new stuff like Mate, you'll really like IceWM.

Comment

lol, the amount of anti-Fedora trolls is quite amusing to see, what a bunch of nonsense.

Comment

GNOME is cool and all but I would rather not use 500+MB just to run my WM, plus it has been quite buggy to my experience, not to mention that they keep removing useful features in every single version. I would suggest to the people here to try dwm/xmonad/stumpwm/etc if they want a good looking light wm with more features and less bugs.

Comment

We are constantly looking at ways to improve the GNOME user experience in Fedora, and we do look at user comments and reviews to gather feedback to use for future improvements. But for us to be able to do anything the feedback needs to be a lot more concrete and constructive than this, atm all one can deduce here is some weird contradictory statement of about the DE feeling old fashioned combined with a wish to switch to a desktop aiming to be more old fashioned.
                      I think 70% of the criticism that Gnome gets is because the launcher (or is it called a sidebar?) is hidden and you need to install an extension to show it. If that option wasn't hard coded and was instead an option (that for example you could chose when first setting up the system), people would go easier on gnome. 15% of the criticism is because there's no desktop icons. 10% of the criticism is due to politics and affirmative action.

P.S.: I actually like to use Gnome in default settings, I'm talking about what I've heard people criticize about Gnome.
                      Last edited by UlisesH; 30 April 2019, 08:23 PM. Reason: edited for clarity

Comment

Working...
                      X