Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by microcode View Post
    Say what you will, I'm not here to stir the pot
    Then why are you here stirring the pot? That's what you're doing, objectively speaking.

I'd call what I'm doing here opining
    Definitely an opinion only. Some would argue, it's a bad opinion.

It's pretty hilarious to me that the greatest advocates for these codes of conduct tend to conduct themselves like bullies whenever they're challenged. No decent person is confused as to the type of person who believes in this crap; that all of humanity is fallen... except them! That they are the evolved form, the anointed who will solve everything by imposing their will through a campaign of snide bullying.
    This is just reverse psychology. I'm not going to say that you are a bully just yet, but this is exactly how a bully would defend their bullying.

Comment

Originally posted by Machine View Post

I see a lot of complaining on here, I wonder which group of people you are referring to?
      When constructive, objective criticism is equated to complaining, things will only get worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
        I ignore troll accounts like BeardedGNUFreak and Redfoxmoon all the time. Don't need the forum to do it for me when I can simply see the posters alias and then immediatly skip to the next post 😀
        First you don’t hear other views. Then you can’t trust them. Your personal information network entraps you just like a cult

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post

When constructive, objective criticism is equated to complaining, things will only get worse.
          And where is your page on Debian Planet?
          I would like to see any one's page on Debian Planet, that is "objectively criticizing" this organization's decisions here? .........

I dont like the whiny PC culture, or the whiny antiPC culture. Agendas agendas everywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...59-forum-rules

There is, but I've never ever seen them being enforced. I suspect this forum has exactly zero moderators.
            Thanks, I've poked around a few times but never found it. Also the fact that these rules exists shows that phoronix is censoring free speech

Comment

The problem is the culture of intimidation which prevents productive members of a community from voicing reasonable disagreement with said rules. The rules tend get more and more extreme until perfectly decent people are no longer welcome, all the while those people tacitly accept the changes because "it seems sorta reasonable I guess".

It's all well and good for there to be rules, but when the rules are made legalistic rather than intuitive, there is no longer any room for compromise. As far as I can tell there is rarely any mechanism for a redress of grievances or an appeal, and the standards by which you're judged (and the context in which they apply) is ever growing whether the words change or not.

I know that I and most people I know want less and less to do with any community which has implemented a code like this, because it almost invariably means that the community will devolve sooner or later into a tyranny led by the people who complain the most, rather than the people who contribute the most (not that these are always different people, but usually they are).

Please point out which rules are "intimidation which prevents productive members of a community from voicing reasonable disagreement"
              Please point out which rules are "legalistic rather than intuitive" and have no "any room for compromise"

At the bottom of the CoC it lists the contact information for administrators if you feel like you need redress of grievances or an appeal. Also in the CoC, there is a link to the code of conduct mailing list.

It honestly feels like you didn't read the CoC and are just complaining. The CoC is just general lines of conduct reminding people to act respectfully. Quoting the CoC, you can only really get banned if you are a "Serious or persistent offender".

I also find it funny that you seem to think that a guideline telling people to assume good faith, be respectful, not attacking people is doing more to silence "members from voicing reasonable disagreements" than people doing those things.

Also the Debian CoC was ratified in 2014 and Debian hasn't burned down to the ground yet. All they did was extend the CoC to planet Debian. Tell me did you find people that were silenced from voicing reasonable disagreement where the CoC applied elsewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post
                That says a lot about you. The "Anyone I don't like is a troll!!!" mentality is truly toxic (of course the word has lost all meaning due to people like this)
                Then don't be a one trick pony

Comment

And where is your page on Debian Planet?
                  I would like to see any one's page on Debian Planet, that is "objectively criticizing" this organization's decisions here? .........

I dont like the whiny PC culture, or the whiny antiPC culture. Agendas agendas everywhere
                  The CoC doesn't just apply to debian planet....

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post

The CoC doesn't just apply to debian planet....
                    So, this article is about Debian Planet, so I guess you don't host your blog there?
                    I guess you must be a Debian Developer then? Which projects are you associated with?

Or maybe just maybe you are on here complaining about what an organization decided to do, that you disagree with? Know what? Don't join, problem?

Comment

So, this article is about Debian Planet, so I guess you don't host your blog there?
                      I guess you must be a Debian Developer then? Which projects are you associated with?

Or maybe just maybe you are on here complaining about what an organization decided to do, that you disagree with? Know what? Don't join, problem?
                      They claim to be an open community. This is the definition of a community that is not open, and the reasons why have been explained in this topic. You are free to read other posts in this topic about this issue, including posts quoting things in this very news article. Any other counter to these posts have been more or less personal attacks without logic, which is ironic because people are trying to claim this "CoC" and similar are supposed to prevent personal attacks. This is a appears to be a systemic issue within the current tech community, and causes discussion about it to be relevant.

What are your motivations to quell this discussion?

Comment

Working...
                      X