• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1950s

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

Free speech brigade: "I'll call he-she's whatever I want; it's my right"

Also Free speech bridgade: "Waaaaaaaaaaaaa! The SJW called me a bigot! They have no right!"
      Yeah, it's really funny seeing all these snowflakes come out of the woodwork and get triggered. It's especially funny because they don't even understand free speech. I can not fathom how someone can get so upset about a community implementing rules that they want. They don't realize that THEY are dictating how Debian/these communities should get act or what kind of speech they should express.

Debian is their own community and they can do what they want. I honestly don't see what the big deal is. If you don't like it join a different community. It'd be like complaining about free speech if you spam the phoronix forums with bodybuilding posts and get banned. Every community has rules and it's not a free speech violation if you don't follow them and get banned from the community.

Edit: speaking of rules Michael Is there a FAQ or rule post somewhere for posting on the forums? I'm just a little worried because I've been participating a lot in these political posts recently and I want to make sure I'm within the right guidelines/ethos of the community.
      Last edited by JAYL; 04 January 2019, 01:15 AM.

Comment

It's a powergrab and grows like cancer. These vague rules will be used to kick out people. It was already used to kick out a package because of the name 'weboob'.
        Remember this? "Mozilla co-founder CEO Brendan Eich, who came under fire this week for donating to a campaign to ban gay marriage in California, has resigned."
        This is political and will not improve debian at all. Or did I miss people leaving because they got attacked?

Why don't they just fork Debian and make a 'hugbox-edition' ? Or better yet: Maybe it's time for some counter-culture and create a distro explicit void of any PC-BS.
        Suggestions for a name?

Comment

Originally posted by JAYL View Post
          Edit: speaking of rules Michael Is there a FAQ or rule post somewhere for posting on the forums? I'm just a little worried because I've been participating a lot in these political posts recently and I want to make sure I'm within the right guidelines/ethos of the community.

There is, but I've never ever seen them being enforced. I suspect this forum has exactly zero moderators.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

There is, but I've never ever seen them being enforced. I suspect this forum has exactly zero moderators.
            This is soon a rare free place in Internet. Cheers for Michael.

On Debian: it amuses me how eager people are to police other people. Nothing feels so good as power over another human being?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
              This is reasonable. It shouldn't change anything in practice.
              Like most CoCs and similar speech rules they're supposed to look harmless, but then enforced in a pretty subjective way where different rules are applied to people with different views. The basic trick is to use the clauses about insults, personal attacks and other demeaning or de-humanizing speech to silence people with views on things like gender and sexuality typically associated with the political right even when they're presented in a perfectly reasonable and civilized way.

Occasionally you see enforcement of these things go completely off the rails when the people in charge start enforcing things that aren't even in the written rules or explicitly excluded from what's being enforced. A recent example of this is when Patreon decided to kick right wing internet commentator Carl Benjamin off their platform for joining an (actual) alt-righter's youtube live stream to argue against them (something he's done at least once before when he went on a live stream to argue against notorious white supremacist Anthime Gionet, a.k.a Baked Alaska) and after losing his temper using a certain racial slur that starts with "N" to describe how they behave exactly in the same way the people they try to put down*. The reason why this was so outrageous was that not only did their rules explicitly state that they didn't apply to contents not posted on Patreon, this live stream was only on that alt-righter's youtube channel, their CEO had previously gone on record explicitly stating that this was the case. It was only made worse by the person in charge of enforcing the rules then telling people asking about why they haven't done anything about other people on the platform doing the same or worse that they don't even try to enforce the rules evenly or objectively and are instead intentionally subjective in their assessments.

Don't get me wrong, I personally can't stand the guy, I most certainly don't approve of the way he expressed himself and I consider him to be both a polemic and a moron (particularly on the subject of Brexit), but what happened to him was absolutely a big load of you-know-what. It's also all the more reason to be weary of speech codes even if there's absolutely nothing wrong about the basic idea, but like everything benign or good, it can be corrupted by people with far-from-benign motives.

*IIRC what he actually said was: "You're n***ers... White n***ers... That's basically what you are! Because everything you criticize black people for doing... You're doing yourself!"
              Last edited by L_A_G; 04 January 2019, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BeardedGNUFreak View Post

What a fucking POS you are.
                Triggered!

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post

This is soon a rare free place in Internet. Cheers for Michael.
                  I kind of like it when people are free to make fools of themselves and their posts stay up there as evidence for anyone to see, but I've also seen a few clear rule violations which should have been moderated but never was.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

Like most CoCs and similar speech rules they're supposed to look harmless, but then enforced in a pretty subjective way where different rules are applied to people with different views. The basic trick is to use the clauses about insults, personal attacks and other demeaning or de-humanizing speech to silence people with views on things like gender and sexuality typically associated with the political right even when they're presented in a perfectly reasonable and civilized way.

Occasionally you see enforcement of these things go completely off the rails when the people in charge start enforcing things that aren't even in the written rules or explicitly excluded from what's being enforced. A recent example of this is when Patreon decided to kick right wing internet commentator Carl Benjamin off their platform for joining an (actual) alt-righter's youtube live stream to argue against them (something he's done at least once before when he went on a live stream to argue against notorious white supremacist Anthime Gionet, a.k.a Baked Alaska) and after losing his temper using a certain racial slur that starts with "N" to describe how they behave exactly in the same way the people they try to put down*. The reason why this was so outrageous was that not only did their rules explicitly state that they didn't apply to contents not posted on Patreon, this live stream was only on that alt-righter's youtube channel, their CEO had previously gone on record explicitly stating that this was the case. It was only made worse by the person in charge of enforcing the rules then telling people asking about why they haven't done anything about other people on the platform doing the same or worse that they don't even try to enforce the rules evenly or objectively and are instead intentionally subjective in their assessments.

Don't get me wrong, I personally can't stand the guy, I most certainly don't approve of the way he expressed himself and I consider him to be both a polemic and a moron (particularly on the subject of Brexit), but what happened to him was absolutely a big load of you-know-what. It's also all the more reason to be weary of speech codes even if there's absolutely nothing wrong about the basic idea, but like everything benign or good, it can be corrupted by people with far-from-benign motives.

*IIRC what he actually said was: "You're n***ers... White n***ers... That's basically what you are! Because everything you criticize black people for doing... You're doing yourself!"
                    Carl is still not a right winger, he's a centrist. Big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post

Wtf? How does one prove intent of trying to annoy? This is 100% subjective and therefore either unenforceable, or enforceable by someone with an agenda. Anyone who is fine with little crap like this really needs to try to think for once in their life.
                      Absolutely. I'm wondering if my latest response will show up on Rhonda's blog if not here it is:

Nice quote - I love The Graveyard Book.

I have a nitpick with the quote. Politeness is required but respect is not a given - it is earned. Never require respect from strangers but demand politeness.

About the words: there is a whole lot of medical terms that are nowadays vorboten and the medical profession has constantly invented new terms for the same conditions.

I don't like a useful project like weboob purged from the repository, just because somebody could take offense at a substring of the name. Also master<->slave is completely non offensive on a technical level in code. How many programs do I need to get from source and compile myself if this PC madness continues?

"Most of of the people within the Debian community are most probably white, able-bodied, cis (identifying with the gender assigned at birth), hetero, and male." Are we playing Intersectionality here? Well how about we drop this game of identity politics and put the individual in the center of attention and try to ignore the oppression Olympics that compel people to state there privilege by declaring there ethnicity, age, sexual organs and orientation at the beginning of there speeches. I regard such behavior as appalling.

Also a lot universities are producing more activists then scientists that use PC culture / respect / decency / COC as a wedge to gain power in Organizations and communities - as this is what they are told to do by there Professors. Using words like cis, that nobody in the broader public uses, makes you smell of activism and I don't like this a bit in the community around my preferred distribution.

Comment

Working...
                      X