Xubuntu Will Stop Producing 32-bit ISOs Beginning With Xubuntu 19.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    It's not about time. At least not for a distribution that clearly also aims at low resource / low power systems.
    What has become of the "old- but safe" campaign? There are still many systems out there that do not waste power and are still suitable as purpose bound systems or even low demand desktop systems.
    Aren't you better off with Ubuntu LTS on these old systems anyway? I really don't see the problem. Ubuntu 18.04 LTS will be supported until 2023 at the very least, possibly much longer. So there's still plenty of time if you do the sensible thing and stick to the current LTS release. After 2023, the few remaining machines that are stuck with 32 bit will most likely have reached the end of their useful lifetime.

Comment

Eh...

I have a 31 years old C64 and it has still not finished its useful life.

I do not try to run a UNIX on it though. But i am sure someone did.

Comment

Originally posted by cRaZy-bisCuiT View Post
        It's about time.
        Wrong. There still is a need for 32 bit for some CPUs that have been made recently on computers within the past few years that cannot support a 64 bit guest due to these systems having no AMD-V support and the lack of various features needed for virtualization of a 64 bit guest on those CPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
          Aren't you better off with Ubuntu LTS on these old systems anyway? I really don't see the problem. Ubuntu 18.04 LTS will be supported until 2023 at the very least, possibly much longer.
          Ubuntu stopped offering the 32-bit ISO's with 17.10.
          Xubuntu 18.04 is officially supported only until 2021 (3 years). https://xubuntu.org/release/18-04/
          I've always found this a bit odd though, as you could continue to run it and receive security/stability updates to non-xfce packages that Xubuntu shares in common with Ubuntu.

Originally posted by Adarion
          It's not about time. At least not for a distribution that clearly also aims at low resource / low power systems.
          Xubuntu has moved away from that. It's more about offering a complete desktop experience for those who prefer the classic desktop paradigm over Gnome/Unity tablet-compromised interfaces.
          There are better options out there for low resource systems, or one could use a minimal X/Ubuntu .iso and add only what is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dedale View Post
            Eh...

I have a 31 years old C64 and it has still not finished its useful life.

I do not try to run a UNIX on it though. But i am sure someone did.
            Yeah there was LUnix OS for Commodore 64, but that was in 2.4 or bellow kernel times

I also still have C64, it even still see new games releases - 8bit Forever
            Last edited by dungeon; 02 December 2018, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              Yeah there was LUnix OS for Commodore 64, but that was in 2.4 or bellow kernel times
              I was just about to post the same video

Pöttering should make systemd available for it

Comment

Originally posted by MVinhas View Post
                The 32-bit users still have Debian stable XFCE, which is more appropriate imo, especially because is less bloated and thus requires less disk space and RAM.
                And because it's debianxfce-approved.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post

Aren't you better off with Ubuntu LTS on these old systems anyway? I really don't see the problem. Ubuntu 18.04 LTS will be supported until 2023 at the very least, possibly much longer. So there's still plenty of time if you do the sensible thing and stick to the current LTS release. After 2023, the few remaining machines that are stuck with 32 bit will most likely have reached the end of their useful lifetime.
                  I agree. But what do you mean "2023 and *possibly* much longer"? 18.04 is supported until 2028, so it's "much longer", not "possibly much longer": https://news.softpedia.com/news/mark...s-523864.shtml

Comment

Well, I expected people claiming there's still need for that. Yes, you're right, x86 in general, yes. But Xubuntu is a desktop OS and CPUs since 2004 or even earlier support x64.

For other systems there're other OSes.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I agree. But what do you mean "2023 and *possibly* much longer"? 18.04 is supported until 2028, so it's "much longer", not "possibly much longer": https://news.softpedia.com/news/mark...s-523864.shtml
                      There Mark increased ESM by 2 years more basically

Only main is LTS so supported by LTS, not universe repo again. Universe was never supported more than 3 years anyway If you don't touch universe repo, you are into LTS path - otherwise nope. ESM is selection.

Just like with Debian releases, everything is supported 3 years on any released architecture. More, like LTS/ELTS/CIP(SLTS) only more and more selected architectures and then further more and more selected packages and so on... down to the core

It is right to say "possibly much longer" as not everything is supported really

Average Joe user should upgrade both Ubuntu or Debian releases every 2 years and that is default, same like with Windows 10 LTSC/LTSB editions also on about 2 years... and that is recommended as to make upstream more happy about you, otherwise you could continue to use it for more, skip releases or whatever, but then do not complain at upstream too much
                      Last edited by dungeon; 02 December 2018, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X