• Show
Clear All

# systemctl hibernate
    Failed to hibernate system via logind: Sleep verb not supported

Asus GL702ZC

I stopped trying around 5 laptops ago.

Comment

Originally posted by tichun

Of course it is! It could be designed to store only your desktop environment and the likes! Maybe even dynamically allocated swap file?
      I believe that a dynamically allocated swap file should be the default. If I am not mistaken, that's the way Windows does it right?
      That allows to waste just 1 GB (or lesser) of disk space when a nearly idle system is hibernated, or 32+ GB of disk space when a lot of stuff is going on, without having to plan for 48 GB of swap space in advance. Also because with 48 GB of RAM I wouldn't use a swap partition in the first place and I would still love to hibernate my system without having to study how to set up and use a swap file (if possible). 16 GB of RAM are common nowadays, while disk space on SSD drives is still scarce, so wasting 16+ GB for swap partitions is pretty bad.

I would not like a mechanism that decides what to hibernate ("designed to store only your desktop environment and the likes") in my place; it should simply store everything that is open and load it back when the PC is turned on.

Comment

I'm using laptops from Asus, Lenovo and Dell, all of which are sent into S3 sleep and woken up multiple times per day, all without problems. The same is true for different types of desktop PCs at work. They all use Intel iGPUs. The one private computer that I bought an AMD RX 460 for is S3-suspendable with some kernel versions, and not with others - basically with every new version it is a gamble if amdgpu crashes upon S3 sleep or not.

Comment

Suspend used to be problematic for me a few years ago on my ASUS P6TSE X58 chipset mainboard, it would suspend fine but refused to wake up and resume. I used hibernate back then to avoid this and it worked fine. Suspend/resume has worked fine now for 3 year or more so I haven't tried hibernate since, I presume its still fine though.

Comment

I don't use Fedora, but I think as it is an upstream kernel problem it will fail on every distro the same way.

On my Bristol Ridge system, suspend-to-disk/hibernate does not work unless I unload the amdgpu kernel module first. Report is at https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=100979 also some other affected hardware is listed.
            On my Kabini netbook, suspend-to-RAM works only with radeon, not with amdgpu. amdgpu fails to initialize the LVDS display on resume, and it stays off until reboot: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=101926 Using DC (which supports LVDS since recently) makes no difference. Suspend-to-disk works.

Comment

Just realized one thing, and correct me if I'm wrong...

Are "suspend-to-disk" and "hibernate" synonyms?
              And are "suspend-to-ram" and "suspend" synonyms too?

Comment

Hibernation works fine with my main pc: i7-5775C, Asus Z97i-plus, 16GB ram with the system and swap partitions on a NVMe 480GB Adata XPG8200 ssd.

Though a full normal boot is faster than resuming from the hibernation image so its not worth it for me to use

Comment

MacBookPro8,1 on Ubuntu 17.10

Hibernation STILL often turns off the backlight when I open the lid and turns it on when I close the lid. Drove me freakin insane for so long I either kept the lid open or shut it down. Eventually I figured out I can just hit the brightness key to turn it back on.

Soooooooo stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
                    Just realized one thing, and correct me if I'm wrong...

Are "suspend-to-disk" and "hibernate" synonyms?
                    And are "suspend-to-ram" and "suspend" synonyms too?
                    I believe that is the case.

Suspend = S3 power state
                    Hibernate = S4
                    Shutdown = S5

RAM is turned on in S3 and S0 on Macs.

Comment

Not working for me on my HP Envy with the Ryzen chip set. At least closing the lid and expecting the machine to wake up when the laptop is opened up again doesn’t work.

The trouble I have with Fedora and this is a perfect example, is that they recruit comments on something like this on a developers list. It just isn’t a serious way to get data on all the hardware variants out there.

Comment

Working...
                      X