No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 18.10 "Cosmic Cuttlefish" Prepares For Its Beta Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What new theme? Is replacing a purple-orange wallpaper with another purple-orange wallpaper a new theme?

Comment

Okay, I gave the daily build another try. Several machines / different open source GPU drivers (nouveau, amid, ati).
      $XDG_SESSION_TYPE=x11
      Single monitor

Open 1 window -> trigger the dash -> animation is sluggish

I'm sure Canonical is aware of this as they've been bringing patches to improve speed over the last months.

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
        I'd just love Ubuntu to part away from the orange-purple theming.. and to dump snap for flatpack. What else? Did you notice their dark-theming doesn't give you black input boxes (or weird ones where you can't see what you type) in Firefox? Well done! Sorry I have basic needs
        Snap works on servers, Flatpak doesn't.

I prefer Flatpak, but Snap does have uses.

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
          I'd just love Ubuntu to part away from the orange-purple theming.. and to dump snap for flatpack. What else? Did you notice their dark-theming doesn't give you black input boxes (or weird ones where you can't see what you type) in Firefox? Well done! Sorry I have basic needs
          Is it not possible to replace Snap with Flatpak, since they're completely different things. Flatpak cannot be used for system things, services, etc, so we would have to use three systems instead of two. That would not be an improvement.

Comment

A friend of mine wanted a better computer to play Cities: Skylines on so I gave him my old one with a 75oti.
            I installed Ubuntu 18.04 for him and the animations in Gnome were very sluggish which made it incredibly annoying to use.
            I mainly used tiling window managers back when I used that nvidia GPU so I never had that issue.

And yes, I installed the proprietary driver.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
              A friend of mine wanted a better computer to play Cities: Skylines on so I gave him my old one with a 75oti.
              I installed Ubuntu 18.04 for him and the animations in Gnome were very sluggish which made it incredibly annoying to use.
              I mainly used tiling window managers back when I used that nvidia GPU so I never had that issue.

And yes, I installed the proprietary driver.
              Upgrade to 18.10 (Mutter 3.30 here is much faster than 3.28) or switch to Kubuntu 18.04/18.10 instead (which is even more faster).

Comment

@RussianNeuroMancer : did you actually experience the Mutter speed improvements in 18.10 ?

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                  What new theme? Is replacing a purple-orange wallpaper with another purple-orange wallpaper a new theme?
                  The new Yaru theme, which replaces Ambience.

Comment

I have migrated all my Xubuntu 18.04 systems over to Ubuntu Budgie. So far, it's been solid. Every day I am more impressed with their applets -- great power.

Comment

Perhaps the theme-complainers would prefer one of the old brown themes instead?

Too bad, they were GTK+2 , but the wallpapers should be easy to find; I'd be mildly surprised if they're not still in the Ubuntu archives.
                      Last edited by mulenmar; 25 September 2018, 06:35 PM. Reason: Less ambiguous phrasing, GOOOO~!

Comment

Working...
                      X