Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 18.10 "Cosmic Cuttlefish" Prepares For Its Beta Release

Phoronix: Ubuntu 18.10 "Cosmic Cuttlefish" Prepares For Its Beta Release

This evening the "Cosmic Cuttlefish" embarked on its beta freeze ahead of the official Ubuntu 18.10 Beta due out later this week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'd just love Ubuntu to part away from the orange-purple theming.. and to dump snap for flatpack. What else? Did you notice their dark-theming doesn't give you black input boxes (or weird ones where you can't see what you type) in Firefox? Well done! Sorry I have basic needs

Comment

There are 2 comments on this thread... What happened to the second one? Where is it?

Comment

Hi ! Am I missing something ? I gave the daily Ubuntu, the Gnome 3.30 Tumbleweed Opensuse, and an Arch-based live CD a try, all with a Gnome 3.29.x or 3.30 install, and in all 3 cases Gnome Shell felt really sluggish - more than in Ubuntu 18.04 which was worse than in 17.10.

I think I overlooked something, as many optimizations were brought in the 3.29.x cycle (and more patches were brought by canonical). I tried 2 PCs and 3 GPUs (nouveau, amd, Intel). All are constantly 100% smooth under kwin (not with the nvidia proprietary driver though)... I'd really want to give Gnome another try and stop caring about DEs and just use them

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
          I'd just love Ubuntu to part away from the orange-purple theming.. and to dump snap for flatpack. What else? Did you notice their dark-theming doesn't give you black input boxes (or weird ones where you can't see what you type) in Firefox? Well done! Sorry I have basic needs
          Why say sorry? Nobody is gonna listen to you anyway. The problem is not what you are asking, the problem is that you really think an entire distro can be tailored around your personal needs and taste and you are using the wrong platform to ask. Good morning!

Comment

Originally posted by torturedutopian View Post
            Hi ! Am I missing something ? I gave the daily Ubuntu, the Gnome 3.30 Tumbleweed Opensuse, and an Arch-based live CD a try, all with a Gnome 3.29.x or 3.30 install, and in all 3 cases Gnome Shell felt really sluggish - more than in Ubuntu 18.04 which was worse than in 17.10.

I think I overlooked something, as many optimizations were brought in the 3.29.x cycle (and more patches were brought by canonical). I tried 2 PCs and 3 GPUs (nouveau, amd, Intel). All are constantly 100% smooth under kwin (not with the nvidia proprietary driver though)... I'd really want to give Gnome another try and stop caring about DEs and just use them
            Was it the x11 or wayland session? And do you use a second monitor? Wayland session and second monitor can still trigger a bug which makes things very slow.

Comment

Hi ! Single monitor actually... Just opening a single window and activating the dash would crawl with all 3 distros and all 3 GPUs. I guess some were using X11 and some Wayland I have to double check !

Comment

Is this back to Wayland by default like 17.10 ?

Comment

I'm running the daily build and so far so good, it's much better and more stable than 18.04, which was an absolute disaster for my laptop.

Comment

jacob : what GPU / driver are you using ? Double checking again... I cannot believe a single window animation would crawl like that on all my setups. I must have overlooked something !
                    Last edited by torturedutopian; 25 September 2018, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X