Linux Mint Debian Edition 3 Now Shipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Nope, Mint was born and created to deal with shitty US laws (to take advantage of "not all laws works same way everywhere") Since they are from Europe (Ireland in particular, there these laws does not work) they started by providing blob codecs, mp3 support, flash, etc... everything what was missing from Ubuntu default and even illegal (particulary in US) to be shipped at the time

Only many years later on they started doing their own tools and UIs, Gnome forks, etc...
    Did Clement emigrate to Ireland? 'Cause last time I checked, he was still French...
    Last edited by Vistaus; 01 September 2018, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
      Did Clement emigrate to Ireland? 'Cause last time I checked, he was still French...
      Linus Torvalds is swedish by ethnicity. His family was from Finland's minority who speaks swedish instead of finnish language originally actually... so what you think Linus is - finnish, swedish or american? People considering him now as finnish-american , but Linus says for himself how if he look back he consider him more swedish than finnish as his grandfather was finland swedish

RMS is american but jewish.

Mark Shutleworth is south-african who at one point with a help of russians emigratred to space temporarely

and so on...

Clement seems to be french, but he moved to work and live in Ireland. Linux Mint Ltd is registred in Ireland, so

Mark Shutleworth live on Isle of Man (UK), Clement seems in Westmeath county (Ireland)... that is very near just something more than one hundred miles away
      Last edited by dungeon; 01 September 2018, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Since Canonical is now best friends with Microsoft and is rapidly stepping in Windows 10's shoes with spyware, data collection and other crap, I really like that Linux Mint devs are offering this alternative.
        I'm just curious now how easy it's to install KDE Plasma on it.
        Just remember that LMDE is a bit of a "can it be done?" project and doesn't have nearly as much support as the Ubuntu derivative. The Mint team are keeping their options open in case Canonical does something really bad but has no actual plan to change the base of their flagship project.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Linus Torvalds is swedish by ethnicity. His family was from Finland's minority who speaks swedish instead of finnish language originally actually... so what you think Linus is - finnish, swedish or american? People considering him now as finnish-american , but Linus says for himself how if he look back he consider him more swedish than finnish as his grandfather was finland swedish

RMS is american but jewish.

Mark Shutleworth is south-african who at one point with a help of russians emigratred to space temporarely

and so on...

Clement seems to be french, but he moved to work and live in Ireland. Linux Mint Ltd is registred in Ireland, so

Mark Shutleworth live on Isle of Man (UK), Clement seems in Westmeath county (Ireland)... that is very near just something more than one hundred miles away
          You didn't have to explain all of that to me, I just didn't know Clement moved to Ireland.

Comment

But if Linux Mint wanted to keep the GNOME2 spirit alive, then why didn't just use MATE instead of creating Cinnamon? Note that I'm not against Cinnamon, I'm just saying that if what you say is true, they could've just used MATE.
            They're using and supporting Mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Flaburgan View Post

They're using and supporting Mate.
              No, they're using Cinnamon on the main edition.

Comment

No, they're using Cinnamon on the main edition.
                There is no "main edition", each Mint release comes available with Mate and Cinnamon, and XFCE, for both x86 and x64. It even used to include KDE but it has been dropped. See the download page https://linuxmint.com/download.php, there is no incentive to pick Cinnamon instead of the two others.
                Linux Mint is an elegant, easy to use, up to date and comfortable GNU/Linux desktop distribution.

Comment

Working...
                X