Early Ubuntu Hardware/Software Survey Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by olympus View Post
    I didn't know that. Is it on all flavours? Only if it's in all flavours, desktop environments statitics would make sense.
    There would still be bias toward the default Ubuntu flavor though, and possibly against KDE (as many KDE users use Neon or Argon derivatives of Ubuntu)

Comment

Originally posted by tzui View Post

Maybe because you can surf the web during the Ubuntu installation and some people didn't notice that they need to press restart to finish the installation?
      Also, quite a few people use Ubuntu to save old computers. Old computers usually have slow(er) HDD's, which makes the process longer as well.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        A bit odd they count how many CPUs you have, but not cores or threads.
        I wonder whether Threadripper and EPYC show up as 1 CPU. Reason being that, for scheduling purposes, you want to treat each die as a different CPU.

I guess the real question is: how many levels of NUMA hierarchy does the Linux kernel support?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          There are servers that can run 2 or 4 physical CPUs on the same motherboard (each with its own RAM and PCIe lanes, but working together under the same OS).
          Intel supports cache coherency for up to 8-CPU configurations, in its highest-end server CPUs. AMD's EPYC only scales up to dual-CPU, which is probably the biggest that makes sense for most applications.

Intel's LGA 3647 supports up to 3 UPI links, meaning quad-CPU is the biggest you can go with a fully-connected topology. I'll bet they don't actually scale well, going from 4 to 8 CPUs.

Comment

Working...
          X