Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora 29 Will Cater i686 Package Builds For x86_64, Hide GRUB On Boot

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fedora 29 Will Cater i686 Package Builds For x86_64, Hide GRUB On Boot

    Phoronix: Fedora 29 Will Cater i686 Package Builds For x86_64, Hide GRUB On Boot

    The Fedora Engineering and Steering Committee (FESCo) approved on Friday more of the proposed features for this fall's release of Fedora 29, including two of the more controversial proposals...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...UB-Plus-64-bit

  • #2
    I doubt there's more than just a few users running Fedora with HW that doesn't support SSE2, although god knows why they would. Even the original 32-bit atom cpu's supported it AFAIK.
    Last edited by Mystro256; 06-16-2018, 11:23 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      There's actually plenty of pre-Windows 8 -era 32bit CPU's without SSE2. The beef is all 64bit ones have it whether running 32bit or 64bit code

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
        There's actually plenty of pre-Windows 8 -era 32bit CPU's without SSE2. The beef is all 64bit ones have it whether running 32bit or 64bit code
        *cough* kill them with fire *cough*

        Comment


        • #5
          I wonder why don't they generate multi code path binaries.
          GCC supports creating binaries which has multiple code path based on the features of the CPU.
          That way they can also have a path for AVX code.

          Comment


          • #6
            i still think Hiding the Grub Boot Menu ( only on GFlog3 ) is rediculous Move. an Fedora wants New Users? afaics there pushing users away to other spins that dont hide the Grub Menu.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Anvil View Post
              i still think Hiding the Grub Boot Menu ( only on GFlog3 ) is rediculous Move. an Fedora wants New Users? afaics there pushing users away to other spins that dont hide the Grub Menu.
              I'm gonna take a guess and say that Fedora hiding the grub menu is not going to cause people to switch to other distros. Imho UEFI setups shouldn't even use GRUB by default and should use stubs or systemd-boot.

              I'm all for hiding it, Windows and OS X both hide their boot menus and they just confuse normal users. Those who still want the boot menu can just hold Shift.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                There's actually plenty of pre-Windows 8 -era 32bit CPU's without SSE2.
                Pre-Windows 8?? Non-SSE2 machines are pre-Windows XP! Or somewhere around the Windows XP release. The only still functional machine with such a CPU I can think of is Athlon XP. And I seriously, *seriously* doubt there are "plenty" of them around. Ok, I have one, but that's a sample of... one. So not a sample size you could make a general statement about.

                And you can't do much with such an old CPU anyway, basically every modern task will completely overwhelm it. If you can run the task at all, for example all modern web browsers _require_ SSE2, so you can only browse the web with an outdated, and as such insecure, browser. Actually, you can't really, even with an outdated browser, the bloat of the modern web will be too much for such an old system. Video playback is out too, these things can't handle h264, except maybe at very low resolutions. And even if the task is not overwhelming, the performance/resource consumption ratio is so bad that running such a machine is... not wise at all, to put it mildly. You're far better off with, say, a Raspberry Pi.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Britoid View Post

                  I'm gonna take a guess and say that Fedora hiding the grub menu is not going to cause people to switch to other distros. Imho UEFI setups shouldn't even use GRUB by default and should use stubs or systemd-boot.

                  I'm all for hiding it, Windows and OS X both hide their boot menus and they just confuse normal users. Those who still want the boot menu can just hold Shift.
                  just because Windows an MacOS hiders the boot Menu does it mean Linux has to follow suite? NO, next Linux will have .msi or ,exe installers if Linux does everything Windows an or MacOS does. , hiding thre rub menu IMO is a waste of time

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Anvil View Post

                    just because Windows an MacOS hiders the boot Menu does it mean Linux has to follow suite? NO, next Linux will have .msi or ,exe installers if Linux does everything Windows an or MacOS does. , hiding thre rub menu IMO is a waste of time
                    Have you seen Flatpack et. al? That is exactly what a particular subset of people want (to be like Win/mac).

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X