Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devuan 2.0 As Debian Without Systemd Hits Release Candidate Stage

Phoronix: Devuan 2.0 As Debian Without Systemd Hits Release Candidate Stage

Devuan remains the prominent Debian fork that is focused on "init freedom" by stripping out Debian's dependence on systemd...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo in article URL.

Comment

I get the feeling this childs tantrum of a distro gets a lot less support than they were expecting.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
        I get the feeling this childs tantrum of a distro gets a lot less support than they were expecting.
        Childs tantrum? I think you are mistaken, Devuan is not using systemd.

Comment

Pretty much. Initially they strongly implied that they expected the whole Debian community to switch over and that Devuan would, in effect, become the new Debian. Their tone and attitude became much less grandiloquent lately. They have probably found out what anyone could have predicted ftom the start: that out of 100 Linux users, 90 are either happy with systemd or don't give a sh!t; 9 may have grievances but don't see them as worth the hassle of switching distros for; and the odd 1 VUA who remains will hardly make a dent in Debian's market share, much less in Linux's adoption of systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
            They have probably found out what anyone could have predicted ftom the start: that out of 100 Linux users, 90 are either happy with systemd or don't give a sh!t;
            The entire mess will start over in 2-3 years, when Flatpaks marches inside of Debian. Becoming THE packaging default for many Desktop and GUI related programs. One day they find out that the entire source code of Gimp, LibreOffice, Gnome Desktop Apps, etc. are only available for Flatpaks (and suited only for the Flatpak eco-system). Right now this is just an add on where no one cares. But soon they will.

Then! And only Then! The entire discussion start over again!

Comment

What freedom do I even have if I can't avoid systemd or flatpak?

Comment

Originally posted by makam View Post
                What freedom do I even have if I can't avoid systemd or flatpak?
                Why is your freedom to avoid systemd more important than the Debian devs freedom to choose systemd?

Comment

Why is your freedom to avoid systemd more important than the Debian devs freedom to choose systemd?
                  Because then the Debian devs are imposing upon my freedoms. By avoiding systemd I am not imposing upon anyones freedom.

But the real culprit is that the systemd devs chose an architecture that extends its tentacles to other pieces of software. Thus writers of other init systems often need to emulatefake systemd behaviour and other hacks to make software written with systemd in mind work on other init systems.

tl;dr should have been just a simple init script. And nothing else.

Comment

Once Flatpaks show up as the default way getting GUI applications on your linux system, the entire discussion about systemd will look like hot air from history.

Comment

Working...
                    X