Devuan 2.0 As Debian Without Systemd Hits Release Candidate Stage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post
    Everyone else except a small handful of people gets and loves systemd.
    That's a blatant lie that has been promoted by silencing the opponents left and right.

Ian Jackson, Debian's long-time superhero (not Ian Murdock) who was Debian Project Lead left Debian basically over systemd, and while leaving, voiced the anti-systemd crowd as being 40%.

That's not a small handful of people.

These 40% have been silenced, censored, quelled and banned on every possible mailing list and chat venue.

I know you people like to pretend that these people don't exist by putting tape on their mouths and then saying "see, no resistance " but that's not the truth.

Go use devaun and leave the rest of us who like this thoughtful sysvinit replacement alone then.
    Yes, relegated to the shadows, like you want it to.

SystemD has its merrits.
    Of course it has merits, it introduces a corporate culture, destroys the community, basically ends Linux as a desktop OS for anything other than corporations (the abandonment of Unity by Canonical is no small surprise here),

it will at some point result in the death of KDE (most likely),

and at that point you will have a Red Hat created desktop OS which may become a commercial competitor to Windows/MacOS,

except that all the free software people will have left,

with really nowhere to go.

After which Linux desktop will die entirely, but this takes some 20 years.

Then 15 years from now you will see a new emerging free OS still based on Linux (kernel) but more emerging from the tablet/smartphone world which will try again.

Comment

Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post
      Go use devaun and leave the rest of us who like this thoughtful sysvinit replacement alone then.
      Oh btw, you are posting this "leave us alone" in a thread about Devuan.

Seems you are the one who does not do "leaving alone".

I once upon a time posted a message in #debian about the stupidity of journald default log levels being DEBUG, I believe (lowest level) and having no ability to filter it in any default way through journalctl itself, with Poettering lowering some level from fatal to debug, but it makes no difference, because you get to see it all anyway.

Immediately people went against it and tried to create a shitstorm, which they did, of course, with the aim of blaming you for the noise if you engage them, which I guess, I stupidly did.

I used the word "regularly", I said that Poettering regularly adjusted some log level here and there, which is only commensensical that he does.

The first guy had a problem with the word regularly. "Regularly? I doubt systemd changes all that much?"

I said "Then I will remove that word from my statement and change it to "sometimes", if that pleases you."

But of course they went on and I couldn't really keep my politeness all the way I guess, but even normal dialogue is noise and you get blamed for the noise etc.

I did not write that message under the assumption that I said something questionable, I thought I said something commonsensical that people would agree with and just take as it was.

It's like you say "The sun is yellow" and people go "The sun? Yellow? How do you know?"

So contrary to my expectations -- I was in a pretty good mood --

I was given hell for a simple observation about something being rather pointless.

In the holy SystemD church, if you say it doesn't have a diamond in each eye socket, you have already done blasphemy.

Comment

Working...
      X