Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vivaldi Web Browser Now Available For Linux ARM / Raspberry Pi

Phoronix: Vivaldi Web Browser Now Available For Linux ARM / Raspberry Pi

Are you still using the Vivaldi web browser? If so, you can now use it on ARM devices like the Raspberry Pi...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yep, I use it as my main dev web browser - with other browsers (firefox, chrome, chromium serving other distinct roles on my work machine)

Comment

I use it very occasionally in Windows, haven't tried it in Linux yet. My usual browser in Windows and Linux is Pale Moon but as it has no ARM port I will try Vivaldi out on my Raspberry Pi.

Comment

I had never heard of Vivaldi. I went to check it out and it looks nice, though there isn't anything I've noticed about it that would make me care to switch to it. So far, the only feature it has that currently neither Chrome or Firefox (anymore) has that I've wanted is a screenshot preview of each tab. This was a feature introduced by Opera a looong time ago, and it was very useful. All the other features I either don't care enough about to warrant a transition, or, there are extensions for. I do like how Vivaldi seems to prioritize vertical tabs, which I personally find far more useful of screen space. Currently, Firefox has an extension for this that I think is very nice.

Seeing as it appears to be based on the same platform as Chrome, are you able to transition your existing Chrome profile and extensions to it?
        Last edited by schmidtbag; 05 December 2017, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          I had never heard of Vivaldi. I went to check it out and it looks nice, though there isn't anything I've noticed about it that would make me care to switch to it. So far, the only feature it has that currently neither Chrome or Firefox (anymore) has that I've wanted is a screenshot preview of each tab. All the other features I either don't care enough about to warrant a transition, or, there are extensions for.

Seeing as it appears to be based on the same platform as Chrome, are you able to transition your existing Chrome profile and extensions to it?
          I have not tried, but given it has a lot of different bits it could be troublesome.

but hey, see if you can copy it across

Comment

This post was brought to you by Vivaldi. Handy to have a browser I could use on my ARM box under Gentoo without having to compile one but I'm gearing it up as a media centre so I don't really need a desktop browser.

Comment

Still pains me that Opera is gone. The thing I valued most was the email client (which is still missing in Vivaldi AFAIK).
              Using Chromium now, but settings are a real pain compared to Opera's F12 Quick-settings, this thing is rather sluggish and memory hungry aswell.

Comment

I've used only Vivaldi for a year or so now. I really think it's the best browser out there ever since the Opera Presto days.

The amount of customizability options is huge. I really enjoy the F2-menu for doing most things, really powerful.

Can't wait for the day they open-source everything though. Only the UI bits are proprietary (minified HTML / CSS / JS), but they release their engine modifications: https://vivaldi.com/source/

Comment

Great news! Thanks to Michael for bringing it to our attention.

On our lovely Raspberry Pis here running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, Firefox won't run anymore since a few months (see Launchpad bug entry concerning Firefox-on-ARM crashes).

Vivaldi however now runs perfectly fine, and slightly faster than pre-Quantum Firefox used to run on the ARM Pis.

Good work, dear Vivaldi developers. Much appreciated.

Comment

If I were on a raspberry pi, the last thing I would want is a chromium fork

Comment

Working...
                    X