X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compix
    replied
    Sweet!!
    Nice to know that I can Install my favorite browser on a Raspberry Pi...
    By the way it is compatible with all the chrome extensions I use...
    I use Vivaldi on both my laptop and my workstation at home, only use firefox at work because all my tabs are open here...
    I've even included it on the Windows 10 images we roll out to our users in the company I work at (Along with Chrome, Palemoon, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Edge) people need choices.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by tuuker View Post
    Every time closed Vivaldi is mentioned but no one mentions upcoming open Opera alternative Otter-browser
    Hadn't realized it was still even being developed... But I see there is a recent RC so will write about it, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• tuuker
    replied
    Every time closed Vivaldi is mentioned but no one mentions upcoming open Opera alternative Otter-browser

Leave a comment:

• FishPls
    replied
    Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    I really don't see the point of this web browser
    Show me a browser that has equivalent functionality.. That's the niche Vivaldi is trying to fit in to. Power-users. Just like the old Opera Presto was.

which is proprietary
    Yeah, the UI is proprietary. However, it's just minified. All the HTML / JS / CSS is there and can be modified.

and just a UI around chromium CEF
    It's not built on top of CEF, and neither is the new Opera. Steam uses CEF, but Vivaldi and Opera use their own Chromium forks (which is basically upstream + local modifications for getting the UI running, and additional features).

Leave a comment:

• M@yeulC
    replied
    I really don't see the point of this web browser, which is proprietary, and just a UI around chromium CEF.

Leave a comment:

• Guy1524
    replied
    If I were on a raspberry pi, the last thing I would want is a chromium fork

Leave a comment:

• Hadrian
    replied
    Great news! Thanks to Michael for bringing it to our attention.

On our lovely Raspberry Pis here running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, Firefox won't run anymore since a few months (see Launchpad bug entry concerning Firefox-on-ARM crashes).

Vivaldi however now runs perfectly fine, and slightly faster than pre-Quantum Firefox used to run on the ARM Pis.

Good work, dear Vivaldi developers. Much appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• FishPls
    replied
    I've used only Vivaldi for a year or so now. I really think it's the best browser out there ever since the Opera Presto days.

The amount of customizability options is huge. I really enjoy the F2-menu for doing most things, really powerful.

Can't wait for the day they open-source everything though. Only the UI bits are proprietary (minified HTML / CSS / JS), but they release their engine modifications: https://vivaldi.com/source/

Leave a comment:

• discordian
    replied
    Still pains me that Opera is gone. The thing I valued most was the email client (which is still missing in Vivaldi AFAIK).
    Using Chromium now, but settings are a real pain compared to Opera's F12 Quick-settings, this thing is rather sluggish and memory hungry aswell.

Leave a comment:

• Chewi
    replied
    This post was brought to you by Vivaldi. Handy to have a browser I could use on my ARM box under Gentoo without having to compile one but I'm gearing it up as a media centre so I don't really need a desktop browser.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X