No announcement yet.

Linux Mint Will Discontinue Its KDE Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They should've dropped other edition like MATE or Xfce, not the most customizable and user friendly edition, especially now when KDE is faster and better than ever.

Comment

Mint is for kids, real men use Arch Linux.

Comment

At OpenMandriva, we welcome any former Mint KDE users. We promise to never drop KDE unless the project itself discontinues.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
          Arch Linux is for kids, real men use Exherbo.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
            I find MATE a complete waste of time.
            Then don't use it. Not everyone feels the same way.

Don’t know why they still spend energies on it.
            MATE's good for users with weaker hardware and those who don't like Gnome-Shell. It uses gtk3, so it has that in common with cinnamon. Eventually, I could see MATE and xfce merging in some fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
              How can you spot an Arch Linux user? They will tell you (and tell you that anyone using Arch isn't as 1337 as them).
              Seriously, statements like "Arch is for real men" makes me think that Arch is for insecure men with really small dicks.

Comment

Not surprised. Cinnamon is basically a fork of GNOME 3 and uses forks of GNOME apps. Linux Mint tracks Ubuntu and GNOME. Now that GNOME is the standard Linux desktop now, KDE finds itself more isolated to hobbyist distros and it's own spin of Neon. Distros like Mint who used to spin both a GNOME or GNOME derivative like Cinnamon AND KDE are simplifying to just GNOME and GNOME based technologies now that all three major distros (Red Hat, Suse and Ubuntu) have standardised on GNOME as their default DE. KDE has some good tech and is a nice alternative for folks looking more for a Windows feel or who like to twiddle endless knobs and settings. But the Linux world has spoken loud and clear. GNOME and derivative DE's based on GNOME are where it's at. KDE unfortunately shot itself in the foot with two disaserous releases ( 4 and 5 ) and while much improved lost the support of the big three ((RH, Suse and Ubuntu)

Comment

Why should I care about Linux Mint?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

How can you spot an Arch Linux user? They will tell you (and tell you that anyone using Arch isn't as 1337 as them).
                    Seriously, statements like "Arch is for real men" makes me think that Arch is for insecure men with really small dicks.
                    If you ever listened to the now-discontinued system.au Linux podcast, they made more gentle but similar jokes. "Hey Dan, do you use Arch Linux? Oh wait, if you did, you would have brought it up every five minutes."

I have nothing against Arch Linux or 99.44% of the users. But each Linux distribution has its followers that have decided that tribal warfare is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

You need to recalibrate your sarcasm detector.

Comment

Working...
                      X