Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Mint Will Discontinue Its KDE Edition

Phoronix: Linux Mint Will Discontinue Its KDE Edition

The Linux Mint crew has confirmed today they will be discontinuing future releases of their KDE spin following next month's Linux Mint 18.3 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There is no point in the KDE edition now that KDE Neon exists, Mint KDE just shipped with an out of date version of plasma with known bugs in that are fixed in the latest stable version (which is what neon had), i'm not saying new bugs are not introduced in newer KDE versions..

Same thing for Kubuntu LTS, no point to it at all now (there is KDE neon LTS also).

Interestingly however KDE/Plasma will be in Solus soon.

Comment

Damn, so I have to change my distribution in the future. How is that kde neon? I did tried it when it first came out and it was obviously as bad as kubuntu has always been on me. How big is the difference between them now-a-days.

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
        Damn, so I have to change my distribution in the future. How is that kde neon? I did tried it when it first came out and it was obviously as bad as kubuntu has always been on me. How big is the difference between them now-a-days.
        It's an Kubuntu LTS, but with the latest Qt and KDE. Which basically means a much more bug-free experience and a DE that boots in a little over 10 seconds.
        If you want it for desktop usage, it's perfect. If you want it for software development, you still have to deal with many obsolete packages.

Comment

Seeing as Mint mooches off of other distros, I never really understood why they supported anything other than Cinnamon. But, with Kubuntu being in rough shape and Debian being so outdated, KDE on .deb-based distros isn't looking so great.

Comment

I left ubuntu 2y ago for arch ( antergos ) ...
            ... I got fresh kde packages with 2 days max delay (for example now I just got 5.11.2 ).
            I ll never go back to Ubuntu ( and I'll never do an release upgrade )

Comment

Is there anybody who uses the derivative of the derivative?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
                Is there anybody who uses the derivative of the derivative?
                I'm sorry, Cinnamon is a derivative of what exactly?

Comment

I kind of wonder if this is sour grapes on Mint's part. Plasma seems to be checking all the boxes that Cinnamon was created for. E.g traditional WIMP desktop environment. And it's doing a much better job IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    I'm sorry, Cinnamon is a derivative of what exactly?
                    To my recollection, Cinnamon is (or at least at one point, was) a hybrid of GNOME2 and GNOME3, with some new in-house software. But, I haven't used it so it wouldn't surprise me if it is its own independent platform by now.

Comment

Working...
                    X