Benchmarks Show Firefox 57 Quantum Doing Well, But Chrome Largely Winning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leipero View Post
    mmstick After some testing i see why theya re disabled by default, gfx.webrender.enabled actually hurts performance on my hardware, and some benchmarks can't be finished (Firefox v57 crashes), I could notice it instantly while scrolling pages became laggy and stuttery.
    Firefox 57 is "old".

Why didn't you just use the latest Firefox 58 Nightly like I did?

Here's the PPA for it:

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozill...ive/ubuntu/ppa

It installs separately next to Firefox. It uses "firefox-trunk" as the name instead of "firefox", so both can co-exist on one system.

Comment

Originally posted by pq1930562 View Post

Firefox 57 is "old".

Why didn't you just use the latest Firefox 58 Nightly like I did?

Here's the PPA for it:

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozill...ive/ubuntu/ppa

It installs separately next to Firefox. It uses "firefox-trunk" as the name instead of "firefox", so both can co-exist on one system.
      I am sorry for misinformation, in fact I was testing on v58.0a1, I did not look at the version, I've sort of assumed it is v57, my bad. I also do not use Ubuntu based distribution on my main PC, so PPA's are pretty much useless for me. Anyway, everything I wrote relates to v58.0a1, not v57.

Comment

[...] and Chrome 6.0 were the releases tested [...]
        Did you mean "Chrome 60"? Chrome 6.0 was released in 2010!

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

about:config

Code:
          extensions.pocket.enabled = false
          I've used that since Pocket first came into Firefox, I always look in about:config for all options concerning things I don't want in Firefox and disable them. The ability to do this is one of Firefox's best features. As for pocket, I also delete files related to it from the install package, as they are wasted space and FF (as of 56) does not crash with them removed.

Comment

Source?
            I have forgotten where I saw that 56 would be an ESR release, but it would make sense for it to be one. If not, I can roll back to 52 ESR until the extension situation gets sorted out. I assume FF57 retains the ability to add back the menubar in customizatiion? Losing that would reduce the abilty of FF to integrate into a MATE or Cinnamon desktop environment as opposed to GNOME.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
              I assume FF57 retains the ability to add back the menubar in customizatiion? Losing that would reduce the abilty of FF to integrate into a MATE or Cinnamon desktop environment as opposed to GNOME.
              What are you even talking about? The menu bar is not gone. Running latest Firefox Nightly 58.0a1 here and the menu bar is still available as it has always been...

Just press ALT and then "View -> Toolbars -> Menu Bar" if you don't see it.

Comment

What about CipherFox?
                It is no longer updated since some months.
                Do you know an alternative, compatible with FF57 similar extension?

Comment

Michael I'm late to the party, but looking at the most common complaints when it comes to browsers, in addition to the current tests it would be useful to run all tests at the same time in separate tabs. On top of that, open each test 5-10 times while you're at it. Though I'm not sure how easy/hard it is for PTS to do this. Keep an eye on memory usage, too.

Comment

What are you even talking about? The menu bar is not gone. Running latest Firefox Nightly 58.0a1 here and the menu bar is still available as it has always been...

Just press ALT and then "View -> Toolbars -> Menu Bar" if you don't see it.
                    I have not tested FF57 because all of my privacy/security extensions are "legacy" and I am not willing to permit a connection to the Internet with ads and trackers enabled. Good to know that when the extensions catch up the menu bar is still available. I normally use "Customize" to roll back many of the UI changes from Firefox of old: removing the search box, adding back the menu bar, et

Comment

Working...
                    X