X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    2. 360 degree domes. {...}
    3. Curved plane HMD stereostopic. {...}
    In other words, video types 2 and 3 will take full advantage of tracking your head rotation, types 1 (which you seem to be referring to) and 4 do not.
    Okay, got it.
    Basically, classic stereo 3D movies is my most common use for bino3D,
    whereas you're more interested in Youtube 360 videos. (and the stereos cousins of it.)

Yup, in that case bino will definitely NOT cover your needs.
    And these VLC improvement are what you need.
    (and could, at some future point in time, find their way into the ffmpeg code base used by firefox and thus also make better the experience of stereo 360 videos on the web).

Though I'm personally EXTREMELY doubting of the results, given the parallax problem of the inter-eye distance : rotation of stereo movie isn't really a pure rotation (i.e.: 2D picture scroll) but also translation (the POV of each eye moves in 3D space).

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post
      Yup, in that case bino will definitely NOT cover your needs.
      And these VLC improvement are what you need.
      (and could, at some future point in time, find their way into the ffmpeg code base used by firefox and thus also make better the experience of stereo 360 videos on the web).
      I figured that was the case, but thanks for clarifying.
      Though I'm personally EXTREMELY doubting of the results, given the parallax problem of the inter-eye distance : rotation of stereo movie isn't really a pure rotation (i.e.: 2D picture scroll) but also translation (the POV of each eye moves in 3D space).
      In my experience, it's pretty good. Remember, each camera uses a fisheye lens, which is then "projected" onto a virtual dome or cylinder-like object. Then, the viewport of each eye has to be distorted to accommodate the fisheye lenses in the HMD. So in total that is 3-4 layers of distorting the image to be viewed correctly by the user. Also keep in mind for stereoscopic 3D, the amount of head rotation is pretty limited. You can maybe turn your head up to 45 degrees in any direction (maybe less) before you're either seeing the video borders or "warping". As long as you keep the video borders outside of your field of view, the effect is nice. Such videos also allow you to move your head around a little bit too (not just rotate) but generally you can only stand up, sit down, get closer, or get farther. If you move your head side-to-side, the 3D effect starts to get real weird.

Comment

Ah, okay. I was thinking of 360 + Stereo.
        I.e.: you should be able to turn your POV 90° to the left.
        At which point the two fisheye camera are in line with the view and there's no way to directly get any 3D stereo without first applying some 3D processing/upconversion.

Comment

Working...
        X