VLC Has Begun Working On Some 3D Video Playback Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Finally - I've been waiting for a 3D video player for Linux for over a year.
    What's wrong with bino ?
    I've been using that for all my 3D needs since years.

It can basically play any source material on any destination.
    eg.: play a vertical stacked source file, onto a side-by-side TV
    or play a standard side by side file on 2 different outputs
    or I even managed to trick it to play file in alternating-lines/interlaced 3D out and then - by displaying them as "interlaced" video out - to get them to my weird alternative frame 3D head up display.

Comment

Cardboard output? What is that? Checkerboard, maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post

What's wrong with bino ?
        I've been using that for all my 3D needs since years.

It can basically play any source material on any destination.
        eg.: play a vertical stacked source file, onto a side-by-side TV
        or play a standard side by side file on 2 different outputs
        or I even managed to trick it to play file in alternating-lines/interlaced 3D out and then - by displaying them as "interlaced" video out - to get them to my weird alternative frame 3D head up display.
        Last I looked it didn't do MVC encoded files (generated by MakeMKV from Blu-ray discs).

Comment

Originally posted by Spidey View Post
          I think they're referring to Google Cardboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Spidey View Post
            Cardboard is Google's 3D and VR format, it is slowly being replaced by Google's new Daydream format.

Comment

Originally posted by Spazturtle View Post
              Cardboard is Google's 3D and VR format, it is slowly being replaced by Google's new Daydream format.
              Whoever came up with that name ought to be fired. Cardboard is flat and bland, not exactly the characteristics you want consumers to associate with your VR technology, lol. I support this migration to the new Daydream format based solely on the name.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post

Whoever came up with that name ought to be fired. Cardboard is flat and bland, not exactly the characteristics you want consumers to associate with your VR technology, lol. I support this migration to the new Daydream format based solely on the name.
                It's named after its cardboard viewer than anyone can build for cheap.

Comment

I'm still waiting for VLC to be as cpu effective as mpv at playing videos thru va-api.

Comment

VLC still doesn't run natively on Wayland. So you have to run it through XWayland since it is an X11 application.
                    I think it still uses old Qt4 and doesn't use Qt5.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      VLC still doesn't run natively on Wayland. So you have to run it through XWayland since it is an X11 application.
                      I think it still uses old Qt4 and doesn't use Qt5.
                      Still there's only 1 mainstream distro that runs wayland by default, and even that not on every GPU. No need to hurry. Ubuntu switching soon should speed things up a bit.

Comment

Working...
                      X