PulseAudio 11.0 Released With GNU Hurd Support, Newer Apple AirPlay Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    I have no idea why in this particular case. But generally speaking audio latency is due to stupid post processing. Using CPU time for things that take too long.
    From the whine on Apple forums it seems more like a shitty network code issue. Really, we are talking of 1-2 seconds audio/video desync, seconds of wait, laggy or dropped frames, depending from the user.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      From the whine on Apple forums it seems more like a shitty network code issue. Really, we are talking of 1-2 seconds audio/video desync, seconds of wait, laggy or dropped frames, depending from the user.
      I've read articles touting that CoreAudio is pretty good stuff. At least according to what I've read, it has something to do with how audio is "packetized", if that's a word, that I don't understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepec9124
        I can't remember the last time I had any audio glitch on Windows.
        so you didn't have sb xfi during switch to vista. i can remember no audio at all
        on the other hand i can't remember the last time i had any audio glitch on pa

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
          That is a bit problematic with browsers as it easily becomes hard to track which html5 player / flash plugin container handles the sound.
          pa volume control shows all currently playing apps with their volume sliders

Comment

It will be interesting to see whether pulseaudio will absorb jack/asio style functionality in the future.
            pa coexists with jack

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              It used to show all my running apps, now it's fairly confusing (arguably less confusing than before). You have to wait for annoying audio to play in your browser, then you can set the volume, then it disappears again if audio stops playing.

I guess someone needs to make a GUI to configure the GUI.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                I've read articles touting that CoreAudio is pretty good stuff. At least according to what I've read, it has something to do with how audio is "packetized", if that's a word, that I don't understand.
                Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I think the issue is clearly in the network code (i.e. in the AirPlay system itself), as that's what splits data in packets (since data on a network travels in packets), and there are cadres of third party applications that can do what AirPlay does (also connect to AirPlay sink devices) without the retarded desync and other issues.
                Last edited by starshipeleven; 06 September 2017, 04:41 AM.

Comment

I meant that the idea of per-application volume control breaks the functionality of these multimedia keys. Another problem with PA is that if you control the master sink volume with the volume keys, it goes past 100%, generating distortion. Traditional ALSA stops at 100%.
                  You're not seriously arguing against per-application volume control in 2017, are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Pepec9124

It still is shit, not as shit as before, sure.

I can't remember the last time I had any audio glitch on Windows.
                    The last time I had issues with pulseaudio was 3 years ago with wine and needed to set some variable to increase the buffer size. Not sure what fixed it but I don't need to set that variable anymore.
                    Last time I had issues with windows was with a normal non-usb analog mic into my motherboard a year ago which worked fine under linux on the same computer.

One or two people isn't enough to say which one is the most reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      It shows 20 times Firefox: Audiostream entries as sources for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X