Firefox 55 Is Ready To Shine With Performance Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    Firefox uses pulseaudio only, chrome works with alsa. Anything that requires pulseaudio does not Shine With Performance Improvements. Pulseaudio is buggy and requires several % of cpu time.
    Had to debunk that statement because of possible factors:
    - Very old version
    - Bad implementation of pulseaudio by a distribution (notable example is Ubuntu using an early version)
    - Poor user set-up which is likely a common issue using for user having customized distributions

Pulseaudio when properly implemented has negligible impact on performance running Firefox on Fedora 26 powered 8 GiB AMD Phenom II X4 940 system:
    - Memory: 3.9 MiB
    - CPU usage: 0%

Version is 10.0

Comment

Firefox uses pulseaudio only, chrome works with alsa. Anything that requires pulseaudio does not Shine With Performance Improvements. Pulseaudio is buggy and requires several % of cpu time.
      Cubeb (used in Firefox) can use JACK or ALSA too, but you must patch/recompile.

Comment

Not that we're expecting something on topic or remotely true from you at this point, but here goes: I have PulseAudio running on your "beloved" Ubuntu, using a whopping 0.0% of a laptop CPU. I have a screenshot to prove it, but apparently no rights to upload it

Comment

I only care about FF's GUI responsiveness, which is pathetic especially when dealing with several tabls. Memory consumption and Javascript performance are irrelevant to me as a user because they're not the problem. Using kde neon kf5.
          If not for the shitty responsiveness I'd only be using Firefox.

Comment

Can you disable the screenshot utility? It's squarely at the end of the context menu where “inspect element” used to be (but only sometimes, so you have to check each time you want to use the devtools). I use that function all the time (usually to remove animated GIFs – no, last I checked none of the “great suspender”-like plugins were WebExt), so having to search each time is really annoying.

Comment

Firefox 55 will have greatly improved startup time with many tabs. It has never been this fast.
              I very much look forward to Firefox 55 and also 57.

Unfortunately Firefox does not yet support the <dialog> element, and does not have Wayland support, also doesn't use GtkHeaderBar on Linux.

Firefox 57 looks exciting, however I use NoScript and Adblock Plus which haven't been ported to WebExtensions yet.

Maone is working on porting NoScript to WebExtensions.
              Last edited by uid313; 08 August 2017, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bemerk View Post
                I find it hard to believe that Pulse Audio still is that bad. People have been complaining for years but i haven't noticed any issue so far.
                Could that be already fixed and nobody of the usual suspects noticed?
                Well... If you tune the resampling settings etc... you can end up in less CPU usage. It seems that Fedora, for example, has sane default settings and PA usage is lower than my xfce processes and firefox.
                But back in the day when I used (much loved) Nokia N900, mp3 playing was quite straining... PA used 15% to 20% of CPU time. It was not good for a little device with a battery.

Comment

I must be the only one having an issue with recent versions of Firefox. I can browse for a little while then suddenly it can't connect to any websites anymore, no issues with Chrome and it's not my Internet. This is with a fresh install of FF no add-ons. I'm stumped.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
                    I must be the only one having an issue with recent versions of Firefox. I can browse for a little while then suddenly it can't connect to any websites anymore, no issues with Chrome and it's not my Internet. This is with a fresh install of FF no add-ons. I'm stumped.
                    I use only FF and never had that issue...
                    What kind of error message do you get?
                    Have you checked if the preferences are correct? Like proxy or something like that?

Comment

Leonard Cohen Hallelujah.jpg
                      Last edited by linuxgeex; 08 August 2017, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X