The Blockers For GTK4: Constraint-Based Layout, Finished OpenGL Renderer & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
    [snip]This is probably the biggest problem with the open source desktops. The API developers have the app developers by the balls. Any changes can totally mess up your project workflow.
    This would be equally true whether the desktop was open source or not, no?

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

This would be equally true whether the desktop was open source or not, no?
      The assumption i think is that proprietary APIs tend to go stable for long periods of time so you can trust that the APIs still work in 5 years. Which is true for Windows and pretty much nowhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        When I am on forums and websites that use Disquss then I miss out on all the emojis. People use them, I don't see them or see them for what they are, so I get a less understanding of what was posted.
        Just install an emoji font (Google Noto) and even your terminal app will support them. Well, not Gnome Terminal but Konsole will.

Comment

Originally posted by hrkristian View Post

Why? Are you going to tell us all about the infantile nature of emojis and how they're ruining communication by eliminating subtext and complexity?

Because that's what I'd say during my edgy teenage years, all while using smileys because they were okay

Oh, I mean ))))))))))))
          I do think that a well placed emoji can improve communication.
          The problem is that people tend to abuse them and miss use them.

Therefore, at least, i'd like an option to disable them entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post

The assumption i think is that proprietary APIs tend to go stable for long periods of time so you can trust that the APIs still work in 5 years. Which is true for Windows and pretty much nowhere else.
            Open source API's can be stable too for long periods of time. FOX Toolkit's API's comes to mind, but Python 2's API's were stable for a long time as well (and the API's from 3 are also set out to be stable for a long time). And there are probably more examples.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
              There's no guarantee on APIs anywhere. Some of the proprietary APIs change quite often, some do not. For GTK the API has been super stable for a very long time. Any changes are communicated multiple years in advance. What people mostly complained about is theme breakage; and AFAICS Windows only allows you to select out of 3 standard colours as theme option.

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post

There's no guarantee on APIs anywhere. Some of the proprietary APIs change quite often, some do not. For GTK the API has been super stable for a very long time. Any changes are communicated multiple years in advance. What people mostly complained about is theme breakage; and AFAICS Windows only allows you to select out of 3 standard colours as theme option.
                Until GTK+ 3.x theming settled down, you can't really claim the GTK+ 3.x API was stable.
                Last edited by danielnez1; 09 August 2017, 04:25 PM. Reason: clarify

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

I do think that a well placed emoji can improve communication.
                  The problem is that people tend to abuse them and miss use them.

Therefore, at least, i'd like an option to disable them entirely.
                  That is such ridiculous logic.
                  Emojis are a tool, a communication tool to be specific, if someone uses the tool wrong you deal with the user not the tool.
                  Why do you even communicate with idiots who spam emojis, if you hate it?

Comment

Originally posted by hrkristian View Post

That is such ridiculous logic.
                    Emojis are a tool, a communication tool to be specific, if someone uses the tool wrong you deal with the user not the tool.
                    Why do you even communicate with idiots who spam emojis, if you hate it?
                    For me, it's the same logic as used in online games. Some people like to play the games but prefer to have curse words automatically filtered and even the option to block certain people.
                    So, while i might not want to communicate with that kind of people, but that might not stop them from communicating with me

Comment

Doe's Python already support Gtk4?

Comment

Working...
                      X