No announcement yet.

The State Of KDE Plasma For Summer 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was the horrendously long startup time fixed? Debian testing is still stuck with Plasma 5.8.7, and startup time (after logging in with sddm) takes me around 90 seconds.

Comment

nope.

Comment

Originally posted by bosjc View Post
        From what I have read, it seems to be a limitation in X - it can only support whole number scaling (i.e. 2x 3x), which is what GTK/Gnome had implemented, vs KDE that was able to hack in non-whole number scaling (1.5x, etc). Plasma also then has to make sure the scale factor is set for everything - not just QT5, but GTK3 and any other toolkit that supports it. Lastly, QT4/GTK2 and before don't support scaling at all. So, yeah, I think its a pretty easy problem conceptually until you start dealing with the underlying subsystems that weren't designed for it (X) and the complexity of multiple toolkits that all do their own thing.
        No. It is a mathematical limitation. Only integer scaling is easy and will always look good. Non integer scaling causes rounding and aliasing issues.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          Was the horrendously long startup time fixed? Debian testing is still stuck with Plasma 5.8.7, and startup time (after logging in with sddm) takes me around 90 seconds.
          I don't have these issues in 5.10.4.
          If you can rule out that it's not a Debian issue (e.g. package db updates or something) open a bug for it.

Comment

I really hope that the screenshot of the new system settings interface is the mobile version.
            This looks super ugly and user-unfriendly...

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
              I really hope that the screenshot of the new system settings interface is the mobile version.
              This looks super ugly and user-unfriendly...
              Tbh I haven't looked at the settings panel in a long while, I'm not even sure why they put effort into it. Alt+F2 and type what you need. That's all you need to know about KDE for some time now.

Comment

Groan, Kwin. I find myself having a lot less issues using Compiz & Emerald in place of Kwin which is saying something.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
                  Groan, Kwin. I find myself having a lot less issues using Compiz & Emerald in place of Kwin which is saying something.
                  What problems have you been having with it?

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

What problems have you been having with it?
                    Take your pick:

Why do you ask, is a particular bug hitting you ?

Comment

I don't understand the HiDPI "problem" with plasma. I have a QHD (3200x1800) 13" laptop and I simply set the font DPI to 232 and the icons/advanced up to 48 and 128, desktop 256, job done. Even Firefox and Thunderbird look just fine since late last year. Been doing this for 3 years and for the last year it's been close to perfect.

I have tried the scaling setup in SystemSettings/Display and Monitor/Displays but that sucks. It often looks fat and ugly whereas my old-school approach has a leaner less bloated but still nice font and icon size look. I don't want EVERYTHING blown up by x2 or even x2.25 (whatever), just the fonts and icons. Leave a 1px border at a lean 1px rather than a sometimes blurry fat ~2px.

Comment

Working...
                      X