Rapid Photo Downloader For Linux Switches From GTK To Qt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Not necessarily. When you prevent misuse, you get complaints that you're not offering enough flexibility. That's just how programming works.

Though it is interesting that GTK foregoes C++, a language with OOP capabilities, and then goes on to implement GObject...
    Is it really that interesting though considering it's the same old language preferences argument that's been had since C++'s inception?

Comment

From my point of view, writing c++ code with Qt quickly results in ugly code. GTKmm is so much nicer. But then, it's easier to get nice cross platform apps using Qt. I wish GTK+ would get some love in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post
        Many applications still depend on Qt4... Moving between major versions of Qt is not easier.
        Just because there's still applications for both GTK and Qt that have yet to update to the newest major version of the toolkit doesn't mean they're the same difficulty in porting. We can play drudge up old and poorly maintained repos all day, that isn't interesting or meaningful to the subject.

The generalized trend of a shift from GTK2->Qt5 but nothing from Qt4->GTK3 is however interesting (including 3 desktops: LxQt, Unity8 (yes it died, but the point is that they tried), and Budgie), particularly when the language involved isn't C++, due to non-C++ being a stronghold for GTK due to C's easier language bindings. Regardless of why you believe it's happening, if we are to go by Phoronix articles then it's certainly going on.

Comment

There's already a GTK+3 application which does basically everything Rapid Photo Downloader does, without all the crap, it's called Nautilus.

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post
            Many applications still depend on Qt4... Moving between major versions of Qt is not easier.
            Usually only old stuff requires Qt4 and usually you can use a git version which already uses Qt5 (e.g. Mumble and VLC).

Comment

Originally posted by halo9en View Post
              GTK is an ugly abomination.

I dream of a QT-based Gnome... (hey, dreaming never hurted anyone, plus you get free flamebait points.)
              GNOME-Qt sounds cool though...and I am sure there's a few GNOME devs out there that might be doing that in secret

Revenge would be sweet if GTK was dumped for Qt tookit!

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                Phototonic is stable and have been using qt for a long time.
                https://packages.debian.org/buster/phototonic
                That link gives an error.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
                  There's already a GTK+3 application which does basically everything Rapid Photo Downloader does, without all the crap, it's called Nautilus.
                  Ummm..... no. It's like saying "there is already a wooden piece of furniture that does everything a sofa does, without all the crap, it's called tripod stool"

Seriously, even a naked bash script is better than a file manager (and an operator) at doing what that program does.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
                    ROFL

Comment

Actually, I prefer writing GTK+ programs over writing Qt; Qt feels like a Java-like library grafted onto C++98/C++03, and forces you to do stuff in a pre-C++11 way. GTKmm is much nicer. I realize, though, that Qt is easier usable in non-Unix environments. I'd love to see more Windows and MacOS work for GTK+.

Comment

Working...
                      X