Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome 59 Now Out As Stable For Linux

Phoronix: Chrome 59 Now Out As Stable For Linux

Google promoted Chrome 59 to the stable channel today for Linux, macOS, and Windows. This is an exciting update for Linux users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Unfortunately, now that Chrome is built on GTK3, that leaves RHEL/CentOS 6 users stuck with Firefox ESR releases packaged upstream as the only viable browser. More info on these two sites:

Comment

This is great!
      I hope to see the Electron framework rebase on the Chromium 59 release so all Electron-based apps can benefit from the Gtk3 goodness too.

I also hope now that with Gtk3 we can soon also get Wayland support in Chromium.

Comment

Originally posted by drees View Post
        Unfortunately, now that Chrome is built on GTK3, that leaves RHEL/CentOS 6 users stuck with Firefox ESR releases packaged upstream as the only viable browser. More info on these two sites:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium...etail?id=79722
        I'm not sure why no one has bugged Tom Callaway (the chromium maintainer for Fedora/EPEL) to add EL6 support.

EDIT: Furthermore, anyone can make a COPR for EL6 and just use the gtk2 build flag. Chromium still compiles with GTK2, just that GTK3 is default...
        Last edited by Mystro256; 05 June 2017, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Seems like a decent browser but can't use it since I'm always on guard trying to escape the botnet that google is.

Comment

Try Vivaldi, i really recommend it

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
              Chrome uses less ram too.
              hahaha nice one

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                Chrome updates automatically so the version number does not matter.
                Same for Firefox?
                Google has pro software developers while Mozilla does not.
                Mozilla foundation pays a bunch of "pro" developers. Their budget is definitely smaller than Google's, though, if that was your point.
                Supporting only shitty pulseaudio in Firefox moved me to use Chrome.
                Ok.
                Chrome uses less ram too.
                LOL. Maybe if you only ever have 1 tab open.

Personally, not that anyone here should care, I use both Firefox and Chrome. Chrome is great when you're looking to open up a new window real quick to look something up on google, or when you want to watch a youtube video. Firefox is better for dealing with my saved session tabs (of which there are many). Chrome's dev tools are better. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Comment

/usr/lib64/google-chrome/swiftshader/libEGL.so
                  /usr/lib64/google-chrome/swiftshader/libGLESv2.so

These are now bundled on Linux. Any idea if these are just plain copy from Mesa or heavily modified? I would guess "modified" but who knows.

Comment

There was already an headless mode

Comment

Working...
                    X