No announcement yet.

Chrome 59 Now Out As Stable For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This appears as a really excellent news I hope to get ift available soon ifrom the repository.

Comment

Michael Since the first time the animated advertisement appears on the left of the screen the chrome browser is stuck and hangs the system. Loop problems.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        Chrome uses less ram too.
        Nope.

Comment

Made a test with three tabs (phoronix, google home page, reddit).
          System usage with chromium and firefox closed is 584MB.
          System usage with chromium is 1.1GB.
          System usage with firefox is 933MB.

Surely not a rigorous test but firefox is lighter here. Same sort of result with only one tab.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
            Seems like a decent browser but can't use it since I'm always on guard trying to escape the botnet that google is.
            You're not missing out. I even prefer Firefox on Android, since it has full-fledged adblock.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
              Chrome updates automatically so the version number does not matter. Google has pro software developers while Mozilla does not. Supporting only shitty pulseaudio in Firefox moved me to use Chrome. Chrome uses less ram too.
              Chrome also changes your baby's diapers, and even eats the shit out of it so the garbage doesn't stink!

Comment

Luckily for Chrome haters (It's not my browser of choice either), there's Chromium and now Vivaldi. Those will fix all your issues, save for memory usage. I think Vivaldi is leaner, but I have only done a few casual tests, so most inconclusive.

Comment

When comparing open source browsers then Chromium is fastest on Win and Linux, all codecs out of box without some Gstreamer or Windows media framework thanks to custom FFmpeg that is very small.

Comment

Originally posted by tuuker View Post
                    When comparing open source browsers then Chromium is fastest on Win and Linux, all codecs out of box without some Gstreamer or Windows media framework thanks to custom FFmpeg that is very small.
                    It depends. Firefox is just as fast (https://arewefastyet.com/). But since it runs Javascript in a single process, it can become bogged down when many tabs are running Javascript at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                      It depends. Firefox is just as fast (https://arewefastyet.com/). But since it runs Javascript in a single process, it can become bogged down when many tabs are running Javascript at the same time.
                      Which should theoretically be fixed with the e10/electrolysis feature.

Comment

Working...
                      X