Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK Lands Meson Build System Support

Phoronix: GTK Lands Meson Build System Support

The GTK+ tool-kit is the latest GNOME component being brought over to the Meson build system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Everybody is switching to Meson. :-D

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
      Really? What about Bazel?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post

Really? What about Bazel?
        Bazel and meson/cmake/autotools/scons/waf/jam/etc have different purposes. Bazel is built around Google's process, which doesn't include packaging or distributing. It's also a classic "thrown over the wall" sort of project, meson is an open source project. As I've needed features for mesa, I've written them, and they've taken them. When Eric needed features for Xorg, he filed a bug report and those features showed up in the next release.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
          Not everybody, just - ninjas, mesons and two apaches

Comment

Gentoo users applaud, meson typically cuts compilation time in half for bigger projects and order-or-more for smaller projects compared to autotools.
            Even cmake pales in comparison, but cmake is acceptably fast. I wonder if any GNU projects will ever switch to meson but I don't think it was GPL licensed so I guess nope.

One big complaint about meson that I have is that it's still too difficult to use as an _user_ who is accustomed to ./configure --prefix=/usr && make && sudo make install (or cmake . && make && sudo make install). For comparable meson install you need to do "meson -C build . && mesonconfig build prefix=/usr && ninja -C build" or something like that. Hopefully they will merge meson config into meson and somebody will write propper autocompletion for parameters and add optional "default builddir".

As it is right now, I might shave 30 seconds off compilation time of random softwrae with meson, but I spend these 30 seconds remembering and writing command line parameters.
            Last edited by Guest; 03 May 2017, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
              Gentoo users applaud, meson typically cuts compilation time in half for bigger projects and order-or-more for smaller projects compared to autotools.
              Even cmake pales in comparison, but cmake is acceptably fast. I wonder if any GNU projects will ever switch to meson but I don't think it was GPL licensed so I guess nope.

One big complaint about meson that I have is that it's still too difficult to use as an _user_ who is accustomed to ./configure --prefix=/usr && make && sudo make install (or cmake . && make && sudo make install). For comparable meson install you need to do "meson -C build . && mesonconfig build prefix=/usr && ninja -C build" or something like that. Hopefully they will merge meson config into meson and somebody will write propper autocompletion for parameters and add optional "default builddir".

As it is right now, I might shave 30 seconds off compilation time of random softwrae with meson, but I spend these 30 seconds remembering and writing command line parameters.
              I would like to go back to Gentoo if it wasn't the fucking compile times. Maybe more devs using Meson+Ninja can reduce overall compile time and give me some hope to get back.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post

As I mentioned in the other thread where you complained about this, you don't need the separate mesonconf step, just pass --prefix directly to meson. You can also just call meson from your build directory instead, e.g. meson .. --prefix=/foo; ninja install;

Comment

Originally posted by rudregues View Post

I would like to go back to Gentoo if it wasn't the fucking compile times. Maybe more devs using Meson+Ninja can reduce overall compile time and give me some hope to get back.
                  That's just your excuse for getting a more powerful PC - cos there's always something slightly better on the horizon

Comment

My main concern with meson is that (easy and painless) cross compiling is going out the door, since, only autotools has anything of the sort...

Comment

Working...
                    X