Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 17.04 Gaming Performance: Budgie vs. GNOME vs. KDE Plasma vs. MATE vs. Unity vs. Xfce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
    Just when there's an article to be fairly positive about overall, with performance being relatively even (especially if you take into account default software compositing as being a likely reason for MATE's lesser showing - I can't wait for that to be ported to Wayland), people still find a reason to bitch and get all trolly. I swear some of the people around here need a shrink for their issues.
    I know. Do they have nothing better to do with their time?

Oh no, someone on the Internet is able to use something I can't! Quickly, I must insult them and tell them all about how they're wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by Niarbeht View Post

I know. Do they have nothing better to do with their time?

Oh no, someone on the Internet is able to use something I can't! Quickly, I must insult them and tell them all about how they're wrong!
      When this usually happens to me I usually try to take off from a thread as soon as possible. There was something a few days back I experienced and was thinking uhht oh.. no whats going on? Ok wait a minute.... Wait.... Ok post one more time... wait ok I am out of here this is driving me batty.

Zen master nerves of steel would not be enough lol. Whenever an opinion is expressed even though you know someone is going to call you illogical or a fool for it and you are set in your way its like no you must have their opinion and there is no other way cause you must be exactly like them. Some people always want to be right thats why I say its my opinion even though they think its wrong. And they still want to change my opinion and call me an idiot or something, thats when I leave lol.
      Last edited by creative; 14 April 2017, 10:17 PM.

Comment

This is what happens when you try to make a valid critique of gnome, their developers and supporters are so sensitive...

Well, you guys should get out of your bubble and present gnome to someone not familiarized with gnu/linux, they will surely say the desktop is not productive because it's not mouse focused, the legacy tray icon is irritating and the desktop itself seems incomplete because gnome needs extensions to be usable!

By now gnome devs or supporters would be irritated and say: "you don't know how to use it!" (and afterwards run back to their bubbles).

The confirmation of this is that redhat made a gnome classic variant, this is the proof that gnome shell is bad for the end user.
        Last edited by Gapil301; 14 April 2017, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          Right. For the most part, the DE doesn't matter. That's how it should be.
          Except Gnome which sucks with CS:GO and it's behind Plasma most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Niarbeht View Post

Did you read the article? Michael clearly states it's a known bug with Mutter de-focusing the window because it thinks the game is unresponsive while it's starting.

Go actually use Gnome 3 and fire up CS:GO. When the annoying "OH NOES I THINK THIS HAS CRASHEDED" popup comes up, click the wait option, and let the game load.

Bam. You get good performance. Certainly better than the 15fps displayed here.

Also, troll harder, nub.
            Great usability feature! How much time will take Gnome devs to fix this or provide workaround? It seems to be very old bug.

Comment

As much as I love seeing KDE & Gnome trolls feeding each other, I'd rather see some good old power / cpu / memory consumption benchmarks next time.

Comment

Compiz has aged well, I see...

Comment

Originally posted by Gapil301 View Post
                  This is what happens when you try to make a valid critique of gnome, their developers and supporters are so sensitive...
                  I'm glad you're not being passive-aggressive or anything...

Originally posted by Gapil301 View Post
                  Well, you guys should get out of your bubble and present gnome to someone not familiarized with gnu/linux, they will surely say the desktop is not productive because it's not mouse focused, the legacy tray icon is irritating and the desktop itself seems incomplete because gnome needs extensions to be usable!
                  Actually I did just that to a friend of mine and he really liked it precisely because it wasn't like Windows. Not everybody is the same and thinks the same, so you shouldn't make broad assumptions like that just because you don't like something. I mean, you're free to continue doing that, but you're not adding anything more useful to this conversation than the so called "gnome trolls".

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                    Actually I did just that to a friend of mine and he really liked it precisely because it wasn't like Windows. Not everybody is the same and thinks the same, so you shouldn't make broad assumptions like that just because you don't like something. I mean, you're free to continue doing that, but you're not adding anything more useful to this conversation than the so called "gnome trolls".
                    Neither do you. '... he really liked it precisely because it wasn't like Windows.' I suppose you just showed it to him and he didn't use it for too long. If Windows user says he likes other DE, because it's not like Windows he usually means its look not usability which is very different experience. Few facts to add something to discussion: no split view in Files, no tabs in Terminal, more clicks to launch an app, no categories in app menu, slow Mutter with nVidia and AMD. Fix this and Gnome becomes much more user friendly.

Comment

Thats awesome! In Ubuntu studio's tailored fusion of XFCE it means only a frame or so of difference. Nothing to get neurotic about for me. I still keep the compositor off though cause I like my gtx 1050 ti idling at 26c ok I'm contradictory and neurotic about it lol.

Comment

Working...
                      X