Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 17.04 Gaming Performance: Budgie vs. GNOME vs. KDE Plasma vs. MATE vs. Unity vs. Xfce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another problem with Gnome in comparison to KDE is memory usage:

Kubuntu: 605 MB (kwin ~ 30 MB)
    Ubuntu Gnome: 1.3 GB (Mutter ~ 200 MB)

One would think Gnome should use much less memory and provide better performance - less features, simple apps, but it seems it's not the case. It's totally opposite from some reason. Qt vs GTK+? Or just bad programming?

EDIT:

correction: fresh Kubuntu memory usage: 450 MB.
    Last edited by Guest; 18 April 2017, 04:39 PM.

Comment

have you tried to use "disable unredirect" in windows section on budgie? it can be helpful

Comment

have you tried to use "disable unredirect" on budgie? it can be useful

Comment

have you tried to use "disable unredirect" on budgie?

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Neither do you. '... he really liked it precisely because it wasn't like Windows.' I suppose you just showed it to him and he didn't use it for too long. If Windows user says he likes other DE, because it's not like Windows he usually means its look not usability which is very different experience. Few facts to add something to discussion: no split view in Files, no tabs in Terminal, more clicks to launch an app, no categories in app menu, slow Mutter with nVidia and AMD. Fix this and Gnome becomes much more user friendly.
            Open Terminal, press ctrl+shift+t. Or, open the preferences, go to the General tab (it's there by default), hit the drop-down for "Open new terminals in:" and select "Tab". This has been in place since... Forever ago. No, seriously, it's been there so long that I've completely forgotten how long it's been there. Late Gnome 2 maybe?

As for split window in Files, well, I'm sure lots of people remember the old mc days. So many, in fact, that I bet everyone studying computer science at a college campus remembers them. Wait, NONE OF THEM DO? All of them have figured out you can open two windows side-by-side and it behaves the same? Astounding! And it's even more flexible, because you can open a THIRD WINDOW if you want! Mesmerizing!

Also, as for Gnome 3's usability, about three years ago I went to the bar with a friend of mine and her cousin. They stopped by my place afterwards to hang out and be weird. I had left my computer logged in, no windows open, though. I came back to find my friend's cousin on my Facebook page generally ruining everything. Gnome 3 is so unusable that a drunk non-technical person who had NEVER SEEN Gnome 3 or any Linux desktop before was able to get to my Facebook and generally wreck stuff.

So. There. Also, yes, I did clean up my Facebook afterwards. > : (
            Last edited by Niarbeht; 22 April 2017, 04:19 AM.

Comment

Great usability feature! How much time will take Gnome devs to fix this or provide workaround? It seems to be very old bug.
              Exactly. It _IS_ a usability feature. When an app does lock/crash, hey, guess what, I don't even have to open a terminal!

AMAZING!

Comment

Originally posted by Niarbeht View Post

Open Terminal, press ctrl+shift+t. Or, open the preferences, go to the General tab (it's there by default), hit the drop-down for "Open new terminals in:" and select "Tab". This has been in place since... Forever ago. No, seriously, it's been there so long that I've completely forgotten how long it's been there. Late Gnome 2 maybe?
                As far as I remember this option wasn't hidden from users before. Good to know it's still available.

As for split window in Terminal, well, I'm sure lots of people remember the old mc days. So many, in fact, that I bet everyone studying computer science at a college campus remembers them. Wait, NONE OF THEM DO? All of them have figured out you can open two windows side-by-side and it behaves the same? Astounding! And it's even more flexible, because you can open a THIRD WINDOW if you want! Mesmerizing!
                I was talking about Files (Gnome's file manager). I don't need split view in terminal, but having this option in file manager is very helpful.

Also, as for Gnome 3's usability, about three years ago I went to the bar with a friend of mine and her cousin. They stopped by my place afterwards to hang out and be weird. I had left my computer logged in, no windows open, though. I came back to find my friend's cousin on my Facebook page generally ruining everything. Gnome 3 is so unusable that a drunk non-technical person who had NEVER SEEN Gnome 3 or any Linux desktop before was able to get to my Facebook and generally wreck stuff.

So. There. Also, yes, I did clean up my Facebook afterwards. > : (
                Well, launching Firefox in Gnome is very easy thing to do. :> However, I feel sorry they wrecked your account. I have Ubuntu Gnome installed next to Kubuntu. Gnome needs few changes to better fit my needs: split view in Files, good gtk3 music player and fix huge memory leaks - up to 1.7GB after few minutes of using. There's also another problem I discovered recently. Deleting unpacked Linux kernel takes few seconds in KDE, but in Gnome it takes up to one minute. Maybe Gnome uses secure file remove, but I'd like to have this confirmed.

Comment

As far as I remember this option wasn't hidden from users before. Good to know it's still available.

I was talking about Files (Gnome's file manager). I don't need split view in terminal, but having this option in file manager is very helpful.

Well, launching Firefox in Gnome is very easy thing to do. :> However, I feel sorry they wrecked your account. I have Ubuntu Gnome installed next to Kubuntu. Gnome needs few changes to better fit my needs: split view in Files, good gtk3 music player and fix huge memory leaks - up to 1.7GB after few minutes of using. There's also another problem I discovered recently. Deleting unpacked Linux kernel takes few seconds in KDE, but in Gnome it takes up to one minute. Maybe Gnome uses secure file remove, but I'd like to have this confirmed.
                  Yes, sorry, I meant Files, but I typed Terminal. D'oh. I haven't missed an mc-style interface, or felt I've needed it, in over a decade. I suppose for some people, it's a killer feature, but holding it against a DE when it's a rare feature isn't something I, personally, can blame on the DE.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Files (I keep wanting to type Nautilus O.o) and Dolphin use a different backend to handle deletes. It might be interesting to see benchmark comparisons of stuff like deletion times, same-system-different-hard-drive moves, network moves, etc. on different file managers, especially for different types of loads (lots of small files, one big file, a handful of big files, I dunno)

Comment

Working...
                  X