KDE Applications Begin Appearing In The Ubuntu Snap Store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theghost View Post
    Well, no wonder. Canonical became KDE sponsor exactly for that. They are investing heavy into the next dead horse. So sad to see...
    Yeah snap is a dead horse, there is already flatpack.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

I like opensuse also if it is a bit farraginose Probably I'll give it a try in the April release. However I hope KDE will develop a stand alone OS. (also fedora has a KDE version)
      The closest to an OS you'll ever see from KDE is Neon. Building and maintaining a DE != building an maintaining an OS. Remember this is *nix space: less is more, nobody excels at everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Felipe View Post
        Snaps vs Flatpack. Pros and cons??
        They pursue similar goals and are pretty much the same idea. The differences are in the implementation. Flatpak uses SELinux for confinement, snap uses Apparmor + SecComp. Flatpak expects packages to depend on external frameworks, this is much less the norm with snap (although snap supports it too). Snap seems more universal in that it can be be used for everything, including the kernel and the base installation of the distro itself. Other than that it's the same thing. The package building tools and process are obviously different too.

The pros & cons result from the confinement technology used and the distro you are running on. You can install a Flatpak on Ubuntu, but AFAIK it will run UNCONFINED (since SELinux is normally not supported on that distro). Same thing if you install a snap on Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
          Well, no wonder. Canonical became KDE sponsor exactly for that. They are investing heavy into the next dead horse. So sad to see...
          If you follow Planet KDE (or Phoronix), you'll see we also have people working on Flatpak and AppImage. We're not playing favorites or investing heavily into any of these technologies right now. We want to bring our apps to as many people as we can, we want to get in on emerging technologies early so we can give input, and we need to try and build experience with things to form an opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
            Sho_. Snap is CLA and Canonical property. KDE should look past whatever "donations" Canonical want to offer. You know very well which horrors Snap would bring.

Accepting social bribes is not freedom. Accepting CLA is even worse.
            We started looking into Snap before Canonical became a supporting member, so your timeline / conspiracy theory is off on that one.

Now, personally I agree with you: I consider Canonical bad technology partner; we've been burned over their CLA shenigans before with the libdbusmenu codebase. I wouldn't put any work on supporting a Canonical technology myself. But the KDE community is big, and we have - as you can see here - room for different opinions within it, and mutual respect for them. KDE e.V. doesn't control what any of us do or do not work on .

Comment

Originally posted by Sho_ View Post

If you follow Planet KDE (or Phoronix), you'll see we also have people working on Flatpak and AppImage. We're not playing favorites or investing heavily into any of these technologies right now. We want to bring our apps to as many people as we can, we want to get in on emerging technologies early so we can give input, and we need to try and build experience with things to form an opinion.
              Sure, you as member of the KDE community can do whatever you want.
              With "investing heavily" I meant Canonical. At the moment try to push Snaps hard probably to get an advantage over Flatpak.
              But in the end everyone knows how it ends...

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Felipe View Post
                Snaps vs Flatpack. Pros and cons??
                Snaps are getting more popularity/support already?

Comment

Only because Ubuntu has such an inflated user base because of their community lies.

Comment

Working...
                  X