Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Applications Begin Appearing In The Ubuntu Snap Store

Phoronix: KDE Applications Begin Appearing In The Ubuntu Snap Store

Some KDE developers are embracing Ubuntu's Snap packaging technology and are beginning to offer KDE Applications via the Ubuntu Snap Store...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"There are also some temporary restrictions like needing to launch the snapped applications from the command-line until there is Snap support in Plasma's Discover." - phoronix article

Uh, the blog post didn't say that. What they said is that if you want to test it on KDE neon you need to use the command line to install it, because their app store, Plasma Discover doesn't support snaps like the Ubuntu Software Center does.

Nothing to do with launching the apps.

"The Ubuntu 16.04 software center comes with Snap store support built in, so you can simply search for the application and should find a snap version for installation. As we are still working on stabilizing Snap support in Plasma’s Discover, for now, you have to resort to a terminal to test the snaps on KDE neon." - blog post

Comment

Good to see that snaps are becoming more and more available, from what I know in the future users will be able to install complete desktop environments as snaps.

Comment

obviously KDE team is making a great job. I wonder how KDE developers do not still realize an operating system completely ubuntu free so to avoid any dependence from ubuntu.
        Last edited by Azrael5; 30 January 2017, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Avoiding any dependence on Canonical would be highly desired. I don't understand how people can even trust them.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
            obviously KDE team is making great job. I wonder how KDE developers do not still realize an operating system completely ubuntu free so to avoid any dependence from ubuntu.
            1. We've had OpenSuse for ages. And more recently KaOS.
            2. KDE developers do not "realize" any OS.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

1. We've had OpenSuse for ages. And more recently KaOS.
              2. KDE developers do not "realize" any OS.
              I like opensuse also if it is a bit farraginose Probably I'll give it a try in the April release. However I hope KDE will develop a stand alone OS. (also fedora has a KDE version)

Comment

Snaps vs Flatpack. Pros and cons??

Comment

Well, no wonder. Canonical became KDE sponsor exactly for that. They are investing heavy into the next dead horse. So sad to see...

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                    I like opensuse also if it is a bit farraginose Probably I'll give it a try in the April release. However I hope KDE will develop a stand alone OS. (also fedora has a KDE version)
                    There is also Mageia and OpenMandriva where KDE is a first-class citizen.

Comment

Working...
                    X