No announcement yet.

Budgie Desktop To Begin Decoupling From GNOME, Will Use Qt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is unexpected, considering than ikey has always been a GTK fanboy, for what I have read. But it makes sense.

Comment

These kinds of project shifts always devolve into people arguing which toolkit is better, GTK+ or Qt, and even C vs. C++...

But actually the blog post is much milder. The problems more specifically are about Mutter and some GTK+ internals. And the author happens to prefer C, but complains that GNOME's C is not very standard.

My humble response to this blog post is that many of the problems mentioned with GNOME exist in Qt/KDE as well. Qt uses a non-standard C++ (a weird macro preprocessor) and ABI breakage in C++ is always more painful than in C. I have a feeling this change is not really going to make life easier for Budgie.

Comment

GNOME devs have done a great job torpedoing the Linux desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post

Not sure if serious, hasn't seen w10, or can't tell the difference between a doughnut and a teacup

W10 surprised the hell out of me; it just looks really, really nice. It really makes you (well, me, at least) realize how far the freedesktops have to go.
          I really bemoan the fact that floss didn't develop a Linus for the desktop.
          Seen it of course, can't miss that even if i want Must be a magic of Windows, you see something i don't see anything and on average most people use it

But i don't use it and don't see where freedesktop needs to go... should we do forced upgrades feature or something? But people are crazy and take that after some time as normal

People nature must be like that - if they are targeted fine on one thing... so like that, they will take also any other obvious bullshit that came with it

I don't see nothing so good nor special there, reason it is sucessful is just because it is established market and nothing else. Average mainstream Joe also does not think of anything, he just takes what you give him... i even estimate that 85% of the Desktop market is like that.
          Last edited by dungeon; 25 January 2017, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Excellent choice to go away from Gnome/Gtk. As a user I’m also trying to replace everything Gtk with Qt applications. Already switched to LXQt.

My only concern with Qt is they dropped gtkstyle in Qt 5.7, so it will be impossible to get a consistent, beautiful and usable UI in the future … That’s kind of the reason why I’m switching away from Gtk(3)… Sigh.

Comment

So stqn from what I read, not entirely sure but in 5.8 they reintroduced gtk styling again. Again haven't heard much other than word of mouth, don't take my word just yet for it :P

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                GNOME devs have done a great job torpedoing the Linux desktop.
                How..?

Comment

Originally posted by arakan94 View Post

How..?
                  By making it ugly

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

By making it ugly
                    GNOME Shell is not ugly. I personally find it most aesthetically appealing of all DEs. And lot of people seem to agree with me since they use it as well. Beauty is subjective and in no way "torpedoing Linux desktop" - those who do not like it simply do not use it. There is plenty of other options.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCanadianBacon View Post
                      So stqn from what I read, not entirely sure but in 5.8 they reintroduced gtk styling again. Again haven't heard much other than word of mouth, don't take my word just yet for it :P
                      You’re giving me a bit of hope, but I couldn’t find any information about that in the release notes for Qt 5.7 and 5.8. I did find a couple bug reports talking about Gtk3 theme/widgets though… If Qt 5.7+ supports Gtk3 themes it’s better than nothing, but I haven’t been able to find a good dark Gtk3 theme yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X