No announcement yet.

A Number Of KDE Apps Will Be Dropped If They Don't Get Ported To KF5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was a recent discussion (11/10/16) on the kde-devel mailing list that centered on this issue. It was/is titled "Dropping kdelibs4-based applications in KDE Applications 17.12" for those that would like to take a look.

As for kdialog, my understanding, some functionality continues to (thankfully) invoke the kde4 backend (e.g. 'kdialog --getcolor') (which thankfully still works as it did in kde3, because the plasma colorchooser is all screwed up with the color pallet backwards, broken focus capture for middle-mouse control or the brightness rule, and no ability to remember a custom color from one launching to the next.... not very useful... Shudder, brings back memories of the "Release" of KDE 4.0.4 in May 2008)

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
      Take it easy guys. KDE's obvious lack is not something new. Do you plan to lash out everytime someone mention this?

If you don't like the facts, then change them.
      Why should we? You do it perfectly.

Comment

@starshipeleven

I've been talking about GUI applications, not something CLI based. But then you've meticulously been searching for that insta-crashy/semi-unstable applications for quite some time to prove your point, right? It's so freaking great to admit that Microsoft tries to preserve Win32 compatibility and your examples are nothing more than an anecdotal evidence just proving my point. The rest of your blabbering doesn't make any sense whatsoever - I don't even understand what you were trying to say or prove. I guess you're like shouting in your echo chamber.

Last but not least, Firefox 3 works just fine in Windows 10 - I've just wasted an hour of my life to download Windows 10 Anniversary Update ISO, install it, download Firefox 3.0 and make a screenshot for you, troll. You're so full of BS.

I've put you on my blacklist because I hate wasting my time on people who are pathological liars and cannot stand for their words, while their "arguments" are nothing more than BS.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Let's pick ten random user space applications (i.e. not something that depends on various low-level APIs) which were released ten years ago and I can bet a grand at least nine out of them will run just fine in Windows 10. Or maybe 10 out of 10. But I'm 100% of sure you will not bet because you're full of shat. In your imaginary world applications for Windows suddenly break when being ran in new Windows releases. There's a similar Re Tardo in this thread however he's never admitted what applications broke for him after the transition to Windows 7. Still he keeps saying there's literally a gazillion of applications written for Windows XP which insta-crash in Windows 7. So full of shat, just like you.
          Well let me precise exactly what I wrote, basically because we are 90% in agreement:

OFC you can install a 90's Winamp and be amazed because it works properly.

Now back to my main point: Microsoft is working very hard so that public and well-known applications do work from 1 release to another and they do that well.

As I wrote, if you pick unknown applications, that Microsoft could not obviously test and validate and ofc are a little bit more complicated than "Hello world".
          Then be sure that 80% will work between Windows versions (5 years) and only 20% between 2 versions (10 years).

This is exactly what happens when you have maintain a lot of in-house apps in companies, and your only hope is virtualization generally.
          Now believe me or not but this is part of my daily job, old unknown/in house programs (> 10 years) just crash instantly for a reason or another and there is nothing to be done on the new OS.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
            Very funny Griffon. I like how you define maintained. No lead developers in IRC and mailing list discussion, lots of commits (from the same guy) and 6 releases on cycle (not fixing many bugs that have patches for them sitting in the mailing list/bugtracker).
            fixed.

Comment

@starshipeleven

I've been talking about GUI applications, not something CLI based. But then you've meticulously been searching for that insta-crashy/semi-unstable applications for quite some time to prove your point, right? It's so freaking great to admit that Microsoft tries to preserve Win32 compatibility and your examples are nothing more than an anecdotal evidence just proving my point. The rest of your blabbering doesn't make any sense whatsoever - I don't even understand what you were trying to say or prove. I guess you're like shouting in your echo chamber.

Last but not least, Firefox 3 works just fine in Windows 10 - I've just wasted an hour of my life to download Windows 10 Anniversary Update ISO, install it, download Firefox 3.0 and make a screenshot for you, troll. You're so full of BS.
              My last post was for you too

Comment

But then you've meticulously been searching for that insta-crashy/semi-unstable applications for quite some time to prove your point, right?
                Nope, I just listed programs off the top of my head. I might list company software too but it's unlikely you have ever heard of that (local stuff I see in my day job) or get one to test it (company stuff).

It's so freaking great to admit that Microsoft tries to preserve Win32 compatibility and your examples are nothing more than an anecdotal evidence just proving my point.
                FYI: none in this thread has provided more than anedoctal evidence anyway, you included. You listed what, Office 2003, and Firefox 3 after I talked about my past experiences with it. I listed a couple games that are broken even if bought from Steam (i.e. ported to newer windows), though.

The rest of your blabbering doesn't make any sense whatsoever - I don't even understand what you were trying to say or prove. I guess you're like shouting in your echo chamber.
                This is your own problem, I've stated clearly what I'm saying, win32 compatibility is a farce that works only for SOME applications in a white list, most stuff does not work.

Last but not least, Firefox 3 works just fine in Windows 10 - I've just wasted an hour of my life to download Windows 10 Anniversary Update ISO,
                Amazing, a so fervent believer of Windows win32 api compatibility between versions that didn't have a Windows 10 already installed. Why didn't you? all you programs would work 100% fine there.

Really, I have win10 partitions and a whole PC dedicated to Win10 adoration (the gaming PC) myself.

install it, download Firefox 3.0 and make a screenshot for you, troll. You're so full of BS.
                Please note, I claimed that it wasn't working at the time I tested it, but I said that it might have changed meanwhile.

How about disproving what I said about Red Faction or Homeworld or any other win-xp game that runs like crap in win10?

I've put you on my blacklist because I hate wasting my time on people who are pathological liars and cannot stand for their words, while their "arguments" are nothing more than BS.
                Yeah, that's the reason many people here would gladly put you in the ignore list, if it was working, that is.

Comment

Working...
                X