KDE Plasma Looking At Global Menu, Wayland & Mobile For 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JonathanM View Post

I understand that no suitable alternative exists at this time, I just don't think it is something that should be used in the future.

Would something like a single env variable like AVAILABLE_WINDOWING_SYSTEMS=<available systems in order of preference> (Which could be overridden by things like QPA_QT_PLATFORM) suffice?
    Sorry, but that's something for the qt-dev mailing list. I'm not familiar enough with the design of the platform plugin loading to comment on what could or could not be done.

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
      Self exporting variable... it that a thing??
      of course
      Originally posted by gufide View Post
      btw, GNOME needs environment variables to run apps on wayland, just like KDE do.
      so do gnome devs ask kde to export vars for them?

Comment

Originally posted by mgraesslin View Post
        Qt currently has no way to detect that.
        qt should fix its bugs

Comment

Originally posted by mgraesslin View Post

Sorry, but that's something for the qt-dev mailing list. I'm not familiar enough with the design of the platform plugin loading to comment on what could or could not be done.
          Tsk, tsk, only commenting on things you have a clue about... Are you here give these forums a bad reputation?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            qt should fix its bugs
            That's like saying "This game expects me to pick a server" "The game should fix its bugs"

It's not a Qt bug if there's no standard way to detect the preferred GUI system and a portion of the target audience who want the ability to choose at runtime.

Hell, it's bad enough that they "fixed Qt's bugs" with icon loading by special-casing for GNOME and, as a result Qt 5.2 (*buntu 14.04 LTS) will ignore the icon theme if you're not running either KDE or GNOME while GTK+ 2.x knows how to check the icon theme in a desktop-agnostic way.

(Don't believe me? Compare the results of gtk.icon_theme_get_default().load_icon(...) (PyGTK) and PyQt5.QtGui.QIcon.fromTheme(...) (PyQt5) under KDE, GNOME, and other desktops like LXDE. Even when already poking into GTK+ 2.x via QGtkStyle, Qt will ignore the GTK+ icon them outside of GNOME. GTK+ 2.x will work everywhere.)

Comment

of course
              so do gnome devs ask kde to export vars for them?
              Maybe. I didn't check the mailing lists. My guess is that kde guys figured that by themselves and just care opening gnome apps correctly without users fix it for them.

qt should fix its bugs
              Gtk has no way to detect that either, hence the need for the env variable. Then I guess that according to you Gtk should fix that too?

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
                Forget stuff like global menu, especially in this high res world. Would rather have window tabbing and more useful features.
                Different people, different projects.
                Windows tabbing (a feature I really miss) is part of the kwin, and as such, waits for Martin Grablin to finish working on the kwin Wayland port.
                See
                https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=343690

- Gilboa
                Last edited by gilboa; 20 October 2016, 12:57 PM.
                oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

I hope they won't waste time on global menu, that is only useful for a smaller set of users.

I wish they made KDE Plasma Mobile a priority.

Comment

Originally posted by asoltesz View Post
                    I hope they won't waste time on global menu, that is only useful for a smaller set of users.

I wish they made KDE Plasma Mobile a priority.
                    Complains about wasting time on a feature for a small set of users.

Wishes for prioritizing another feature for a small set of users.

Makes sense.

Comment

"support for scaling on a per-output basis"
                      This, please this. Also it would be nice if the Plasma releases would align with the kde-applications ones.
                      ## VGA ##
                      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                      X