KDE Plasma Looking At Global Menu, Wayland & Mobile For 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
    Damn you desktop environments, stop trying to make every software specific to your special snowflakey interpretation of what a desktop environment is.
    Just make applications work well on your system without special code.
    From the blog post they say "A Breeze-themed Firefox theme is planned, as well as more refinement in the widget themes for Qt, GTK, etc"

Firefox themes aren't a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven
      Wtf is that.
      That was a troll. Of course server side decoration provide more consistency. Otherwise every app looks different... How am I supposed to theme my desktop then.

And GNOME is definitely super lazy by not exporting QPA_QT_PLATFORM=wayland to run kde apps on wayland. It's not a job of an application to export this variable...

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        of course it is. if kde app needs variable, **it should export it itself**. or maybe kde should leave last millenium behind and learn to use csd
        Self exporting variable... it that a thing??

btw, GNOME needs environment variables to run apps on wayland, just like KDE do.

Comment

Just export QPA_QT_PLATFORM=wayland in your .bashrc... that should do the trick.

Personally I prefer SSD for consistency. Also window shadows are part of what the client renders with CSD... WHAT ??? Yeah they had to introduce a complex protocol mechanism to be able to tell to the compositor about the shadow size, etc.... And we have no guarantee at all on how the shadow will be. SSD mode solves that by having the DE do the sane thing, ie handle the shadows, and tell all apps the user wants them not to draw any shadow.

Comment

Originally posted by stikonas View Post

That was a troll. Of course server side decoration provide more consistency. Otherwise every app looks different... How am I supposed to theme my desktop then.

And GNOME is definitely super lazy by not exporting QPA_QT_PLATFORM=wayland to run kde apps on wayland. It's not a job of an application to export this variable...
            And yet Gnome manages to make almost every gtk3 program pretty consistent theming wise. There may be widgets there but they're all themed the same and thus there is a pretty high level of consistency. It's the advantage of not having each program have to manage it's theming

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post

And yet Gnome manages to make almost every gtk3 program pretty consistent theming wise. There may be widgets there but they're all themed the same and thus there is a pretty high level of consistency. It's the advantage of not having each program have to manage it's theming
              Exactly, gtk3 programs look consistent. And they don't care about anything else.

It is KDE/Qt guys that make sure that Qt apps works and look nicely on GNOME. And again it is KDE/Qt guys that make sure that GTK apps look nicely on Plasma.

Comment

I can think of a good reason for not exporting QPA_QT_PLATFORM=wayland: I think it is a bad idea to export something like that for every toolkit, engine, etc... A universal solution should be used.

If everything would require exporting variables you could end up with desktops having to export something like: QPA_QT_PLATFORM=wayland, GDK_BACKEND=wayland, STEAM_BACKEND=wayland, AURA_BACKEND=wayland, SDL_BACKEND=wayland, etc...

It seems that Gtk+ does require GDK_BACKEND=wayland so Gtk+ devs are guilty of this too.

Maybe I'm missing some important aspects, though...

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanM View Post
                  I can think of a good reason for not exporting QPA_QT_PLATFORM=wayland: I think it is a bad idea to export something like that for every toolkit, engine, etc... A universal solution should be used.
                  It's not easy. How should one decide which one to use. Qt currently has no way to detect that. It uses the qpa platform plugin which is compiled or set through env variable. Qt supports more than just wayland and X11, so that's not an easy thing. Yes would be nice if Qt could detect it, but till that happens one needs to set the env variable. That's what Plasma does as well.

Comment

Hey Martin, pay no attention to the trolls. The vast majority of people who don't live in their mother's basement are hugely appreciative of your hard work. Phoronix is great, but somehow the forum seems to attract a large amount of bottom-dwelling scum who can only derive pleasure from criticising others.

Keep up the good work.

Comment

Originally posted by mgraesslin View Post

It's not easy. How should one decide which one to use. Qt currently has no way to detect that. It uses the qpa platform plugin which is compiled or set through env variable. Qt supports more than just wayland and X11, so that's not an easy thing. Yes would be nice if Qt could detect it, but till that happens one needs to set the env variable. That's what Plasma does as well.
                      I understand that no suitable alternative exists at this time, I just don't think it is something that should be used in the future.

Would something like a single env variable like AVAILABLE_WINDOWING_SYSTEMS=<available systems in order of preference> (Which could be overridden by things like QPA_QT_PLATFORM) suffice?

Comment

Working...
                      X