Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POWER8 Workstation Launches On Crowdfunding: $4k For Motherboard, $18k For System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    That benchmark appears to show midrange POWER beating midrange Xeon (albeit simulated) but in turn being beaten by high end Xeon. The accompanying text emphasizes this point, and that high end POWER chips would show comparably higher performance.
    If you do the math, an 3.8 GHz high end POWER8 would be 31% faster than the mid end POWER8 used in the benchmark. This means the high end POWER8 is still slower than a high end Intel Xeon.

Comment

Agreed, but we're getting into fairly small differences rather than "crushing".
      Test signature

Comment

In my somewhat dated experience the Power *can* out-perform a Xeon CPU, but it takes specific workloads. (Massively parallel w/ bus-choking I/O on 4S or above).
        However, non of this relevant to a single socket workstation board.

I've been looking at non-IBM Power 8 servers (2S) and they do look interesting (both performance and price wise), but the limited memory capacity (and slower DDR3 memory) is an issue.

Never the less, I wish them luck.

- Gilboa
        oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
        oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
        oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
        Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by UbuntuRulez View Post
          POWER is slower in database benchmarks too. I bet AIX on Intel Xeon runs faster than on POWER8, but IBM is afraid to release benchmarks pitting POWER8 vs Intel Xeon.

I dont get how normal, sane people allow IBM to trick them? Have not they checked POWER vs Xeon benchmarks before jumping on the hype train? Or, are they paid by IBM to hype POWER8? How many here, have an affiliation with IBM?
          Like others pointed out, it depends on the workloads.

Regarding that benchmark, the conclusions support what I was told: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10539/...pplications/11

As for affiliation, I know a guy who knows a guy who used to work in IBM... Does that count?

Comment

12 core CPU system with 96 hardware threads does sound badass though..

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
              Like others pointed out, it depends on the workloads.
              Yes, it depends on the workloads. However, I have never seen any workload where POWER8 is faster than Intel. Have anyone of you ever seen a benchmark where POWER8 is faster than Intel? Any benchmark?

Comment

Yes, it depends on the workloads. However, I have never seen any workload where POWER8 is faster than Intel. Have anyone of you ever seen a benchmark where POWER8 is faster than Intel? Any benchmark?
                Nothing I can share.
                I can point out that 8S Xeon scale horribly (DL780G7?), while 8S (and above) power scaled just fine.
                Again, nothing relevant to single socket workstation configuration.

- Gilboa
                oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

If you’ve been waiting for a formal evaluation of the IBM Power8 architecture on common financial workloads, then look no further. According to results shared at the STAC Summit on June 4, an […]

From the first page of the google search. Admittedly, specific workloads and applications but it's still real-world loads using real-world software.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post

Nothing I can share.
                    I can point out that 8S Xeon scale horribly (DL780G7?), while 8S (and above) power scaled just fine.
                    Again, nothing relevant to single socket workstation configuration.

- Gilboa
                    So you are basically saying that when benching a single POWER8 vs single x86 we see that x86 is faster as in all the benchmarks I have linked to, but when you scale out to 8 sockets, x86 falls behind? Well, that sounds reasonable. x86 does not scale perfect, Unix scales better. So, x86 is faster on 1-2 sockets but can not tackle large workloads that require 8-sockets or more.

Originally posted by c117152 View Post

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

If you’ve been waiting for a formal evaluation of the IBM Power8 architecture on common financial workloads, then look no further. According to results shared at the STAC Summit on June 4, an […]

From the first page of the google search. Admittedly, specific workloads and applications but it's still real-world loads using real-world software.
                    The first link, youtube, benches a POWER8 vs an old E5-2697 v2. Why not bench against a E5 v4? That is not fair of IBM to bench against an old x86.

The second link, is about HPC calculations. POWER8 has 96 threads, so it can simulate 96 Monte Carlo paths at once. x86 lags behind in that respect, as x86 does not have that many threads. Also, it says that POWER8 has much higher bandwidth, "192 GB/sec per socket which is 3x higher than x86". Well, in real life RAM bandwidth benchmarks, x86 and POWER8 has roughly the same bandwidth it seems, POWER8 is only around 10% faster. We see that IBM POWER8 reaches
                    BM S824 4 251,533 253,216 322,399 319,561
                    IBM S822L 4 252,743 247,314 295,556 305,955
                    x86 E7 v3 4 230,027 232,092 248,761 251,161

Comment

Working...
                    X