Skype Releases Brand New Linux Client Making Use Of WebRTC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bonob View Post
    So the new client is 64-bit? That would be great news!

My first thought as well. Skype is the reason I have 200MB+ of lib32 packages installed.
    Last edited by 2bluesc; 13 July 2016, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickabouille View Post

Nope.
      Any idiot can write idiotic Javascript and CSS.
      Maybe so, but an idiot can't write idiotic C

Also, nice to see Microsoft finally coming to terms with WebRTC.

Comment

So just go to web.skype.com in Chromium so its sandboxed and cannot read all the files on your computer.

Or even better, give it a release or two and qupzilla will support it as well!

Comment

Already noticed, that the new version does not support p2p group chats The one and only functionality i really ever use.

Comment

And of course it's build off of Chromium so it requires gtk2. Just as I had finally removed it completely from my system.

Comment

This is great news, for what I have read its like gueto skype but with less features and closed source. But official, and that means a lot.

it is, the FAQ say so

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Maybe so, but an idiot can't write idiotic C

Also, nice to see Microsoft finally coming to terms with WebRTC.
                Nahh, I know idiots that do idiotic C# (MS kind of C version).
                The problem maybe is that it's seems easier to do bad JS code then good one. O.o

Anyways, I'm glad to see Web technologies going more and more mainstream. Web is the future that is happening now, and it includes the desktop realm.

Comment

I rather prefer Viber. Works very well on my Gentoo box and most of people whom use Skype also have Viber these days.

Comment

Yes, it is 64 bit, I just downloaded and started it. As mentioned by others, it is basically the web version in a window.

Comment

The usage is a bit differnet to the old one, the tray symbol is not used to open while minimized, hopefully that will change. Basically it would be nice if not only a 64 bit variant would be available. The Debian package installs a https deb repository entry to make updates more easy, requires of course apt-transport-https.

Comment

Working...
                      X