Firefox 46.0 Is Ready To Ship, GTK3 Support Appears Finally Baked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheRealBecks View Post
    I still don't understand what's missing to watch Netflix with Firefox on Linux :/
    Nothing is missing, it should work already. Firefox should automatically download Adobe Primetime and Netflix added support for that in December. Other sites may or may not work, it depends on whether they added support for Primetime or if they only work with Widevine (the DRM plugin for Chrome/Chromium). Not so fun fact, Firefox nightlies can also use Widevine, but only on Windows and OSX.

Edit: On second thought, I'm not quite sure if Adobe Primetime is available yet on Linux. If it really isn't, that's the answer you're seeking, you can't watch Netflix because Adobe hasn't yet released a Linux version of Primetime.
    Last edited by Gusar; 26 April 2016, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
      Nothing is missing, it should work already. Firefox should automatically download Adobe Primetime and Netflix added support for that in December. Other sites may or may not work, it depends on whether they added support for Primetime or if they only work with Widevine (the DRM plugin for Chrome/Chromium). Not so fun fact, Firefox nightlies can also use Widevine, but only on Windows and OSX.

Edit: On second thought, I'm not quite sure if Adobe Primetime is available yet on Linux. If it really isn't, that's the answer you're seeking, you can't watch Netflix because Adobe hasn't yet released a Linux version of Primetime.
      I do like the concept of Netflix, but it must be boycotted. Their reliance on Adobe software is a major security risk and performance bottleneck. It's both insecure and severely bottlenecked.

Comment

Anyone found a good alternative browser that doesn’t use Gtk and has good support for darkening web pages? (for example Stylish-like functionality.)

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I do like the concept of Netflix, but it must be boycotted. Their reliance on Adobe software is a major security risk and performance bottleneck. It's both insecure and severely bottlenecked.
          They don't rely on Adobe, Netflix supports Microsoft's, Apple's and Google's CDMs as well.

Adobe has so far been the only DRM provider who licenses their stuff to third party browser vendors, e.g. Google's Widevine was so far restricted to usage in Chrome.
          Seems they started with licensing it to Mozilla now as well.

Cheers,
          _

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
            They don't rely on Adobe, Netflix supports Microsoft's, Apple's and Google's CDMs as well.

Adobe has so far been the only DRM provider who licenses their stuff to third party browser vendors, e.g. Google's Widevine was so far restricted to usage in Chrome.
            Seems they started with licensing it to Mozilla now as well.

Cheers,
            _
            HTML5. That's all I'm going to say.

Comment

Not sure what you mean by that.
              Yes, that is based on HTML5's media support.

Cheers,
              _

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
                Not sure what you mean by that.
                Yes, that is based on HTML5's media support.

Cheers,
                _
                They don't need google or anyone else to support an HTML5 client.

Comment

CDMs are handled by HTML5's own EME. It doesn't get more standard than that.

They don't need google or anyone else to support an HTML5 client.
                  Content owners won't release anything on platforms without DRM. You still have the freedom to deactivate DRM plugins, why don't you allow others the freedom of watching DRMed content?
                  Last edited by bug77; 26 April 2016, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Content owners won't release anything on platforms without DRM. You still have the freedom to deactivate DRM plugins, why don't you allow others the freedom of watching DRMed content?
                    Ask yourself do DRM platforms protect your security? A standardized encrypted stream would do the task Netflix wants while protected the user.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Do you think DRM mechanisms protect you the user? No they certainly do not. EME is so far from standards it isn't funny. SSL would be far better for everyone including you and netflix

EDIT: There must be a distinction made here between Restrictions enforcement and security enforcement. DRM does -NOT- imply security at all.
                      Last edited by duby229; 26 April 2016, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X