No announcement yet.

Enlightenment 0.21 Now In Alpha With Better Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy Smokes! It's so nice to see raster active on Phoronix.

yes e's look is 3d with gradient and shadows and stuff. that was a design choice. no we don't have a oh-so-trendy flatty look. that's a matter of taste.
    For the love of Pete: I wholeheartedly prefer Enlightenment's gradients and shadows with a slight hint of skeuomorph. Excellent design choice.

My only gripe or feature request with recent versions of Enlightenment would be: why the blue and black? Why not red and black or green and black? e17 and e18 had a really nifty 3rd party in web browser plugin which enabled the user to transform the color scheme to anything. I can’t find it now.

Comment

Holy Smokes! It's so nice to see raster active on Phoronix.

yes e's look is 3d with gradient and shadows and stuff. that was a design choice. no we don't have a oh-so-trendy flatty look. that's a matter of taste.

For the love of Pete: I wholeheartedly prefer Enlightenment's gradients and shadows with a slight hint of skeuomorph. Excellent design choice.

My only gripe or feature request with recent versions of Enlightenment would be: why the blue and black? Why not red and black or green and black? e17 and e18 had a really nifty 3rd party in web browser plugin which enabled the user to transform the color scheme to anything. I can’t find it now.

Comment

Originally posted by raster View Post

yes - control panels are not designed. they are mostly options stuffed in so you have access to the option and they have grown and grown over time and need a revamp. like your home directory fills with junk over time and you have to house-clean and arrange it.

but can you explain where animation or useless or over-much? e doesn't animate that much. a few things are "because we can" but very few. most are there to provide a clicker experience or provide information.
        Look, I get it E is your project and you don't like criticism, for that I'm sorry, but while technically E is very good, ui isn't up to par, both aesthetically and layout. I'm no suggesting E should be flat, but even during the era of 3d elements with drop shadows and gradients E was never particularly good looking. For most people its probably fine, but me personally, and this is my own personal opinion - it looks horrific. I'm also under the opinion that if you took some time to really design the system well, layout and artwork E could be a top DE.

Also the animation that sticks to mind (been a while since I tried e20) but its mainly menu's, rippling icons, settings panels where things 'slide' around.

Comment

Working...
        X