No announcement yet.

Vim Lands Asynchronous Processing Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of editors, 'ne' is a pretty good one also. Quite powerfull with a ui reminding of the graphical editors.

Comment

Originally posted by codewiz View Post

To me it actually looked like the two projects are diverging because the project leaders disagree on fundamental design issues:

I'd be really happy to see evidence of collaboration.
      I agree, Neovim will never move closer to Vim again. The differences are huge now and the code has been diverging from day 1. The purpose of Neovim is to create a modern version of Vim, feature-wise. The code could diverge infinitely, as long as the basic Vim functionality stays.
      I've been supporting Neovim with funding for over a year now and really hope they succeed in improving Vim in a direction which I would like it to go.

Just throwing away support for ancient architectures and impossible build combinations deserves a medal. Changing build environment to CMake (even though CMake might not be the best thing in the world) is also such a huge step forward that you start to think "what the hell are Vim-developers thinking?".

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post

I agree, Neovim will never move closer to Vim again. The differences are huge now and the code has been diverging from day 1. The purpose of Neovim is to create a modern version of Vim, feature-wise. The code could diverge infinitely, as long as the basic Vim functionality stays.
        I've been supporting Neovim with funding for over a year now and really hope they succeed in improving Vim in a direction which I would like it to go.

Just throwing away support for ancient architectures and impossible build combinations deserves a medal. Changing build environment to CMake (even though CMake might not be the best thing in the world) is also such a huge step forward that you start to think "what the hell are Vim-developers thinking?".
        With that said, I think it's great if Vim decides to maintain support for building on the Apple 2 and an Amiga 500. But there's no reason for Neovim to do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by codewiz View Post

To me it actually looked like the two projects are diverging because the project leaders disagree on fundamental design issues:

I'd be really happy to see evidence of collaboration.
          Why collaboration? Maybe they'll merge to spite each other.

Also, not exactly vim, but I can't not post this (again): https://twitter.com/iamdevloper/stat...923200?lang=en

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post

With that said, I think it's great if Vim decides to maintain support for building on the Apple 2 and an Amiga 500. But there's no reason for Neovim to do the same.
            Alas, Vim might not build on and Amiga 500 anymore. I did however port Vim 7.2 to AmigaOS a couple of years ago and it was a joy to see how easy it was - I do hope NeoVim does not become less portable just to "clean up the code".

Comment

Originally posted by Archprogrammer View Post

Alas, Vim might not build on and Amiga 500 anymore. I did however port Vim 7.2 to AmigaOS a couple of years ago and it was a joy to see how easy it was - I do hope NeoVim does not become less portable just to "clean up the code".
              No, I actually think that their goal was to become more portable, but to clean away support for old hardware (old #ifdefs) that hadn't even been working for years. They have however replaced a lot of the code with libraries instead, something that always involves a risk regarding portability.

Some info and comments here!

I know Vim better than most. Vim was my first real text editor.[1] I used it for years. I helped write the Floobits plugin for Vim. I’ve delved into Vim’s source code to figure out its workings. I e…

Comment

Working...
              X